Dry skin in my ears: Causes?

A week ago I noticed that the skin around the opening to the ear canal is constantly dry and flaky.
I told my mom and she said that it will go away. I haven't been using new soap or shampoo, so it's not that.
What are the causes of dry skin inside of your ears?

I don't know what to do and I constantly feel paranoid about this because I feel like other people will see the dry skin flakes if they look at me.
Are there any drops I can buy in the drugstore for the dryness in my ears?

asked by Guest_ in Diseases & Conditions | 50029 views | 01-10-2010 at 03:10 PM

You are describing symptoms that represent what is called "swimmers ear". Moisture from bathing or swimming becomes trapped in the ear canal and causes an external ear infection from bacteria or fungus. Treatment is usually antibiotics and/or hydrocortisone lotion from your physician or ENT MD.

This condition frequently affects skin elsewhere, particularly around the eyebrows, eyelids, forehead and nose. It appears dry and may become cracked and sore and sometimes infected

This is an old folk remedy for dry skin -olive oil. Olive oil can be applied as a very thin layer, contains EFAs which are nourishing to the skin, and is inexpensive. You have to make sure you use fresh extra virgin olive oil.

Remember that is important not to get the skin in your ears infected, so resist the urge to scratch at them, don't scratch them and do not use cotton-buds because they act like ram-rods to pack all the debris and wax against your ear-drum. Take care.

answered by Michael | 01-13-2010 at 12:15 AM

It doesn't sound like swimmers ear, I have the same problem, Flaky skin inside the ear canals is usually a symptom of seborrhoeic eczema.

This condition frequently affects skin elsewhere, particularly around the eyebrows, eyelids, forehead and nose.

It appears dry and may become cracked and sore and sometimes infected.

It is important not to get the skin in your ears infected, so resist the urge to scratch at them, and do not use cotton-buds because they act like ram-rods to pack all the debris and wax against your ear-drum; It is usually wise to avoid ear-syringing too.

answered by Guest | 10-15-2010 at 07:08 PM

I think that your dry skin problem may be caused by psoriasis.
I'm not sure because I'm not a doctor but my brother had a similar problem and that's what the doc said.

answered by Guest | 10-03-2011 at 09:29 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.