Diastolic or Systolic More Important?

I am a young female in my twenties. My blood pressure is bad.
My BP is 156 over 117 so top is only stage one but lower is stage 3 and very very high.
Which stage do i go with as both are in different stages which number is most important?
You have two blood pressures: the systolic that measures blood pressure when your heart contracts, and the much lower diastolic reading that measures the pressure when your heart relaxes.
What is more important? Diastolic or Systolic blood pressure?

asked by Guest_ in Diseases & Conditions | 1948 views | 01-10-2010 at 01:11 PM

The systolic blood pressure is now considered the more important of the two.
Systolic blood pressure (SBP) is a more frequent cardiovascular risk factor than diastolic blood pressure (DBP), and has a greater impact on blood pressure staging, though this can vary with age, sex and country.

Although blood pressure varies from person to person, a blood pressure reading of 90 or less systolic blood pressure (the top number in a blood pressure reading) or 60 or less diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) is generally considered low blood pressure.

The causes of low blood pressure can range from dehydration to problems with the way your brain signals your heart to pump blood. Low blood pressure is treatable, but it's important to find out what's causing your condition so that it can be properly treated.

answered by Providence | 01-11-2010 at 03:34 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.