Why Is It So Hard To Quit Drinking?

I have tried to quit drinking because my son was born 3 months ago but I just can't quit. It's so hard.
Tried a lot of stuff, joined a support group, I even added pepper to the liquor but I can't quit drinking. I hate myself for doing this to my son.
I don't want him to have an alcoholic father. Please tell me what else I can do to quit drinking.

asked by Guest_ in Diseases & Conditions | 2552 views | 01-09-2010 at 01:50 PM

Once an alcoholic has made that all-important decision to quit drinking, the journey has begun. Giving up alcohol is going to take will power and commitment and there will be a need for plenty of support from family and friends and through therapy and rehabilitation.

Having a family member or friends help regulate and monitor your diet, exercise, time-table and activities will make it a lot easier to endure the pain. It is recommended that you also keep your family physician in the loop on the developments. There are certain medicines that help you counter the adverse side-effects of alcohol withdrawal.

When you use the right techniques, you can take control of your recovery.

The thing of it is that in order to quit drinking successfully you have to let go for a minute. You have to let go of the need to control things. And this is so hard for the average alcoholic to do. They are so used to trying to control their life and their drinking and everything around them. It is a really big deal to finally let go and allow ourselves to simply exist for a while, and listen to the direction of others. To actually slow down and listen and take some suggestions. This is hard to do. Alcoholics resist it. We do not want to do it. Hard headed if you will.

Moderation never worked for me. I tried, and always failed.
As a recovered alcoholic, I can safely say for me, the only way to stop abusing alcohol was to avoid that first drink.

answered by Alex | 01-10-2010 at 08:05 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.