2 hard drives with different OS?

Is it possible to have 2 hard drives and run different operating systems on them? The hard drive I'm currently using has Windows xp installed on it and I want to add in another hard drive and run the new Windows seven on it.

I'll just add a new hard drive if I can install a new OS on it.
If this is possible I also want it set up to when I start my computer that I can choose which hard drive I want to run.
Is there an application that will allow me two have 2 different operating systems in 2 hard drives?

asked by Guest_ in Internet | 1548 views | 01-09-2010 at 12:11 PM

No need for 2 hard drives for running different OS. They just need separate partitions.
You can have a multi-boot system, so you can choose to boot in either XP or windows 7 if you turn on the machine.

You certainly need separate licenses for all software, so if you've got, say, MS Office on both OS-es, that's 2 licenses. That's no different from having it on 2 separate machines.

If you install Windows 7 on the new drive, you could copy your docs over from the old one. Lots faster than restoring from your backups.

This is how you do it.
(1)install one OS to one drive/partition.
(2) Install another OS to the other drive/partition.
(3) Configure a boot manager that will select which OS to start up. You can use an app like Acronis multiboot manager that comes with Disk Director Suite.

answered by Brian | 01-10-2010 at 07:20 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.