What is The Difference Between Swine Flu and Regular Flu?

Whats the difference? With so much discussion about the H1N1 virus, or swine flu I'd like to know the difference between both diseases.
The swine flu is all over the news all the time, and normally i wouldn't care but my son has a cough and a little temperature.
Can you tell me the difference?

asked by Melrose in Diseases & Conditions | 1001 views | 01-06-2010 at 04:13 AM

The swine flu is a newer strain of flu for which we do not have any inbuilt immunity from previous occasions. Therefore it is likely to be more severe as our bodies do not have the antibodies already in place to combat the illness.

With seasonal flu, we know that seasons vary in terms of timing, duration and severity. Seasonal influenza can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Each year, in the United States, on average 36,000 people die from flu-related complications and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related causes. Of those hospitalized, 20,000 are children younger than 5 years old. Over 90% of deaths and about 60 percent of hospitalization occur in people older than 65.

What are the signs and symptoms of this virus in people?
The symptoms of this new H1N1 flu virus in people are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. A significant number of people who have been infected with this virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting. Also, like seasonal flu, severe illnesses and death has occurred as a result of illness associated with this virus.
How does novel H1N1 flu compare to seasonal flu in terms of its severity and infection rates?
CDC is still learning about the severity of the novel H1N1 flu virus. At this time, there is not enough information to predict how severe this novel H1N1 flu outbreak will be in terms of illness and death or how it will compare with seasonal influenza.

With seasonal flu, we know that seasons vary in terms of timing, duration and severity. Seasonal influenza can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Each year, in the United States, on average 36,000 people die from flu-related complications and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related causes. Of those hospitalized, 20,000 are children younger than 5 years old. Over 90% of deaths and about 60 percent of hospitalization occur in people older than 65.

So far, with novel H1N1 flu, the largest number of novel H1N1 flu confirmed and probable cases have occurred in people between the ages of 5 and 24-years-old. At this time, there are few cases and no deaths reported in people older than 64 years old, which is unusual when compared with seasonal flu. However, pregnancy and other previously recognized high risk medical conditions from seasonal influenza appear to be associated with increased risk of complications from this novel H1N1.

answered by ezequiel | 01-06-2010 at 04:15 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.