When Was Jesus Actually Born?

December 25? Just wondering. Sounds very specific for someone that lived over 2000 years ago. I've heard historians have their doubts.

When was Jesus actually born? December? March? Is there something in the Bible that will disprove it as Dec 25? What's with paganism (something like sun god, etc) that would connect it with the day we celebrate Christmas?

asked by Surreal in Religion | 2293 views | 12-24-2009 at 05:32 PM

The Gospels are our only sources on the events of Jesus' life. That means it's hard to disprove anything they say about his life directly; but it also means there is no direct support for anything they say, either.

Some scholars believe that it was in the middle of August or September and some believe that it was in the spring.

There are reasons to doubt the Biblical account of Jesus' childhood. As I understand it, there is no corroborating evidence that King Herod ordered a massacre of infants, like the one that supposedly forced Jesus and his family to flee from Bethlehem to Egypt. It's pretty unlikely that such an event would have completely escaped the historical record. To me, that casts doubt on the Gospels' accuracy when it comes to the details of Jesus' early life, including his birthplace.

answered by Liam | 12-24-2009 at 05:33 PM

Without debating whether or not he existed, no one knows when jesus actually was born. Many theological historians believe he was born a few years BCE. It is often thought he was born in February or March, due to astrological references, but even this is questionable.

answered by Henry | 12-24-2009 at 05:34 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.