Is facebook safe for children?

I have a 10 year old daughter and I'd like to create a Facebook account for her. I really don't know if Facebook allows children to create accounts but since it's going to be private, I still can create one for her.
Only me and my family will be able to see it.
Is it safe for her?

asked by Mary in Internet | 5610 views | 06-22-2009 at 11:58 PM

I think Facebook doesn't allow a 10 year old child to create an account.
And I wouldn't do it, since Facebook owns everything you upload to your account.

answered by Tom | 06-23-2009 at 12:01 AM

I let my 8 year old son on Facebook. I think it's fine as long as he has an adult to supervise while he's on and to regulate the posts/photos etc.

answered by Guest | 06-23-2009 at 02:23 PM

face book for kids?
I have a daughter named Meg and she has a Facebook.
It is kinda ok with me I just sometimes supervise her, she has her own little world and facebook is part of it.
She is already in puberty. She likes this kind of stuff, I let her.

answered by Guest | 07-06-2009 at 07:58 PM

I don't think so. Sometimes people swear and talk about inapropriate things.

answered by Guest | 07-09-2009 at 10:23 PM

yes your absolutely right i agree

see told yu ih waz bud speler

answered by not gud spelar | 01-05-2010 at 05:40 PM

i think that facebook is very safe for kids
i think that facebook is very safe for kids

answered by Guest | 03-02-2010 at 07:01 PM

Ok, no offense or anything, but apparently you guys are very familiar with social networks and internet safety etc. You have to be 13 or older to join facebook, and personally, I think it's an appropriate age to have the responsibility of being safe and not adding people you don't know, and all that. 8 year olds do not have that responsibility, and usually don't even know what they are doing. There are millions of trolls on there trying to lure kids in, and irresponsibly parents (exhibit A) are letting that kind of thing happen to their kids. 13 is definitely a good age for Facebook. Why not finding other websites that are more age appropriate?

answered by Noah | 10-12-2010 at 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Ok, no offense or anything, but apparently you guys are very familiar with social networks and internet safety etc. You have to be 13 or older to join facebook, and personally, I think it's an appropriate age to have the responsibility of being safe and not adding people you don't know, and all that. 8 year olds do not have that responsibility, and usually don't even know what they are doing. There are millions of trolls on there trying to lure kids in, and irresponsibly parents (exhibit A) are letting that kind of thing happen to their kids. 13 is definitely a good age for Facebook. Why not finding other websites that are more age appropriate?
Sorry, I meant to say "arn't", not "are"

answered by Noah | 10-12-2010 at 11:23 AM

Facebook is sooo ok for a 9 year old
My 9 year old has one and i let him have one because all his friends had one and i found out that you could set security settings on it and i had one so i added him and knew everything that he did on it. Including when he went on it , his discussions and who he added as a friend!

answered by Guest | 10-12-2010 at 03:32 PM

wow
I know that over 50 of my best friends have one and my sister in Japan also has one, so I'm getting one so I can talk to them out of school and it's more common that other chat rooms. Plus you can set the security which I will do. Me and my best friends use hers to talk to her friends, I think it is personally safe.

answered by Guest | 05-01-2011 at 02:47 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.