Public Option Health Care Definition?

Regarding the latest deal about whether or not Pres. Obama supports a public option: has he ever defined the term? Does he consider a co-op a public option? Until we know his definition of public option, I think we'll continue to have a great deal of confusion about this subject.
What is the definition of public option in the health care plan?
Our government must laugh when they create some of these names.

asked by Energy in Law & Ethics | 3094 views | 12-09-2009 at 03:49 AM

Definition

The public option proposed by some Democrats makes a public health insurance plan available in health insurance exchanges or gateways, alongside private plans, for some uninsured Americans.

Executive Summary

The pitch for a so-called "public option" sounds simple enough: The federal government creates a public insurance plan some uninsured citizens can opt for over private insurers. Since the government has more leverage than private industry when negotiating with hospitals and doctors and can get lower rates, the plan would likely be the cheapest option out there.

Source: http://www.nationaljournal.com/njonline/no_20090804_3238.php

answered by Star | 12-09-2009 at 03:53 AM

Health Care and Woe
The public option is obviously as dead as a doornail. My advice to the progressives is to take what they can get now.

I don't know what kind of health care reform will come out of this session, but I strongly suspect it won't be much. There is, however a silver lining behind this very dark cloud. I am reminded of the Civil Rights Act of 1957. Don't be embarrassed if you've never heard of it, there really isn't a hell of a lot to remember about it; a mere pittance, really - a scrap of leftovers tossed out to "American Negros" (in the parlance of the age) in order to appease them. But it made the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - the one we remember - all the more easier seven years later.

We'll live to fight another day.

Tom Degan

answered by Guest | 12-09-2009 at 04:00 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.