Lewis Carroll And Drugs?

Was Lewis Carroll on drugs when he was writing Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. i mean there are hints like eating magic mushrooms, and drinking from mystery bottles.
This is just out of curiosity. Personally I think Lewis Carroll was a true genius and I do not support the use of any drug unless for medical uses.
Does Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll have anything to do with drugs?

asked by Storm in Controversy | 4692 views | 12-07-2009 at 01:39 PM

Contrary to popular belief, Lewis Carroll did not use drugs.
Lewis Carroll is not making any drug references. Do you realize that, back in that time, those drugs were not in use, at least none in Lewis Carroll/Dodgson's level of society!

From Wikipedia:
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman, and photographer. His most famous writings are "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and its sequel "Through the Looking-Glass", as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.
His facility at word play, logic, and fantasy has delighted audiences ranging from children to the literary elite, and beyond this his work has become embedded deeply in modern culture, directly influencing many artists. There are societies dedicated to the enjoyment and promotion of his works and the investigation of his life in many parts of the world including North America, Japan, the United Kingdom, and New Zealand.
NOTE: A drug-addled person would be incapable of creating the works~both fictional and non-fictional~that Dodgson/Carroll did!

answered by Nina | 12-07-2009 at 01:41 PM

There are myths that a few scenes in that movie are drug-related and where based off the 'high' that addicted drug users feel while taking drugs. But the whole movie itself is not drug-related and there is no proof of it being that way so it is not a fact. There was a song called 'White Rabbit' that was sung by a great band named 'Jefferson Airplane' that is based off "Alice in Wonderland" which is a by the lyrics is clearly talking about the book, but it is considered a metaphor about drugs.

answered by Caesar | 12-07-2009 at 01:42 PM

Almost certainly not, because the original version of Wonderland was told as a story while rowing a boat on a summer's afternoon. If he had been out of his head, it would have been noticed and commented on. Not to say he never took what we call drugs - as Singwell has said, various forms of opium were in common use at the time - but I strongly doubt that he was significantly under the influence when he invented Alice.

answered by Lexa | 12-07-2009 at 01:43 PM

you people are idiots
The fact that he rowed a boat or wrote such insanely talented stories is no reason to assume he didn't take drugs.
Not to say i believe he took drugs either.
Magic mushrooms were around and opium was very popular during this period of history.
Look at any decent musician across history and they were neck deep in drugs, writing songs that have lasted for decades.

And yes i know of the 'carroll myth' - but seriously only a dumb person would believe this.

He never did attend Alice's wedding, even after spending so many years together when she was a child...I wonder why?

He was never married, had a large apartment with a room specifically for children to play in, when he never had any children of his own.

Make up your own mind. But he did a lot of very creepy things just with pre-teen girls, but he never did like boy children, why is this?

answered by Guest | 07-21-2011 at 09:51 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.