Norman Borlaug Religion?

What is the religion of Nobel Prize winner Norman Borlaug who died today?

asked by Panny in Religion | 7635 views | 09-13-2009 at 03:58 PM

I think he was a christian.

Norman Ernest Borlaug was born on March 25, 1914, near Cresco, Iowa, in the part of that state known as "little Norway." His Norwegian immigrant parents were farmers, but when he graduated from high school in 1932 he left to attend the University of Minnesota. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1937, majoring in forestry. The same year he married Margaret G. Gibson. His graduate work in plant pathology at Minnesota earned him a Master of Science degree in 1940 and a Ph.D. in 1941.

Having received his doctorate, Borlaug became an assistant professor at Minnesota in 1942, but left the following year to work as a biochemist with the chemical firm of E. I. du Pont de Nemours. In 1944 he joined a new team of scientists sponsored by the Rockefeller Foundation to "export the United States agricultural revolution to Mexico." Their work resulted in the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) whose goal was the development of varieties of cereal grains (wheat, rice, and corn) that would produce higher yields in the developing countries of the world.

answered by Paul | 09-13-2009 at 03:59 PM

No reason to suspect he was christian
Why do you think he was christian? From what I can tell, he made no reference to religion or god at any time in any way. I know many atheists who take that approach to avoid discrimination, but there's no reason to declare him atheist, either.

answered by Guest | 09-13-2009 at 10:02 PM

I'm a Christian. Norman Borlaug's grand parents helped found a Christian Church (Lutheran), but I haven't seen anything about his faith. The Bible says "If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved".
I don't know if Norman confessed Jesus as Lord.

answered by Guest | 09-15-2009 at 12:07 AM

Borlaug was one of the early trustees of Bread for the World, serving from
1975 through 1980.

Bread for the World is a Christianity based organization and I doubt he'd have joined it he had the slightest problem with religion.

answered by Guest | 09-17-2009 at 07:23 AM

Was Norman Borlaug a christian?
I'm curious to know where Dr. Borlaug's inspiration came from. Was he a christian, an atheist, an agnostic, an ex-christian, or a quiet non-evangelical christian? So I did some research and here is what I found...

Wikipedia article says his grandparents helped start the Immanuel Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

His 1970 Nobel Peace Prize lecture quotes the Bible 5 times:
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p...g-lecture.html

He served for 6 years as a trustee for the Christian non-profit organization Bread for the World:
http://www.bread.org/press-room/rele...n-borlaug.html

The current president of Bread for the World, Rev. Dr. David Beckman, conducted his funeral:
http://borlaug.tamu.edu/memorial_info.php

My conclusion so far: Inconclusive.

He obviously had Christian roots and ties, but I don't think that definitively means he was or was not a christian.

answered by Zack Freemont | 09-21-2009 at 04:41 PM

Read Dr. Borlaug through his times
It is revisionist history to read something that someone wrote and apply the same criteria as are applied in the present day. After reading Dr. Borlaug's Nobel speech, and given his association with Christian organizations, I think it is reasonable to say that he was publicly professing his Christianity.

answered by Guest | 11-04-2010 at 08:48 PM

He was definitely Christian.
Definitely Christian, and almost certainly powerfully motivated by Christ and the Bible.

In the article about his funeral, he was described as a devout Lutheran, whose faith was the motivation for his mission to use science to feed people. This according to his daughter, who is quoted in the article. It also explains that he regularly attended church when not out working in his "mission field".

I read another article about him that discusses his faith in more detail, and describes it as very strong.

answered by Guest | 04-20-2011 at 04:21 AM

comment