Is Inflammatory Breast Cancer Hereditary?

My grandmother was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer in September 2007 and passed away in April 2008. Now I am concerned about whether or not Inflammatory breast cancer is hereditary, and what should I know now?
Is it possible that I get the cancer because it is in the family?

asked by Maria in Diseases & Conditions | 4250 views | 11-23-2009 at 11:48 PM

The type of breast cancer a family member has isn't passed down through the generations. It is the BRCA 1 or 2 gene that's hereditary.

Women who have this gene may develop breast cancer of any one of several types, not just one specific type. For example, if you have a first-degree relative who had lobular invasive breast cancer and you also get breast cancer, it doesn't mean your cancer would necessarily be lobular invasive, too.

About 70 percent of women diagnosed with breast cancer get invasive ductal carcinoma, 15-20 percent get invasive lobular cancer, and only 1-2 percent develop inflammatory breast cancer. There are a few other types as well.

answered by Dina | 11-23-2009 at 11:49 PM

All individuals with a family history of breast cancer do have a greater risk of developing breast cancer themselves. However, the data isn't clear that inflammatory breast cancer necessarily predisposes to the development of inflammatory breast cancer in relatives.

answered by Amber | 11-23-2009 at 11:50 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.