50 interesting facts
1. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
2. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.
3. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
4. Butterflies taste with their feet.
5. Walt Disney was afraid of mice.
6. Women's hearts beat faster than men's.
7. When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food.
8. Until 1796, there was a state in the United States called Franklin. Today it is known as Tennessee.
9. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs -- it will let you go instantly.
10. Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
11. Thomas Edison, lightbulb inventor, was afraid of the dark.
12. There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.
13. There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
14. There are more chickens than people in the world.
15. The state of Florida is bigger than England.
16. The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in Jello.
17. The praying mantis is the only insect that can turn its head.
18. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
19. The penguin is the only bird who can swim, but not fly.
20. The only nation whose name begins with an "A" but doesn't end in an "A" is Afghanistan.
21. The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."
22. The name Jeep came from the abbreviation used in the army for the "General Purpose" vehicle, G.P.
23. The name for Oz in the "Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, "Oz."
24. The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.
25. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.
26. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
27. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle was built in 1903, and used a tomato can for a carburetor.
28. When hippos are upset, their sweat turns red.
29. Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
30. The sound you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting.
31. It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.
32. The only part of the body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It takes in oxygen directly from the air.
33. In most watch advertisements the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 because then the arms frame the brand of the watch (and make it look like it is smiling).
34. Colgate faced big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries. Colgate translates into the command “go hang yourself.”
35. The elephant is the only mammal that can't jump.
36. The Earth weighs around 6,588,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons.
37. A snail can sleep for three years.
38. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
39. Whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.
40. The human heart creates enough pressure while pumping to squirt blood 30 feet.
41. Some ribbon worms will eat themselves if they can't find any food.
42. Sigmund Freud had a morbid fear of ferns.
43. Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."
44. Q is the only letter in the alphabet that does not appear in the name of any of the United States.
45. Polar Bears trying to blend in with the ice will sometimes cover up their black nose with their paws.
46. On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner.
47. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, and purple.
48. Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of cotton.
49. Los Angeles's full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Se?ora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula" and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its original size: "L.A."
50. Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.