Andromeda Strain Monkey?

Although I really liked the Andromeda Strain movie, I was definitely horrified by the "lab animals" sequence where they exposed rats and monkeys to the Andromeda crystal.
Were you freaked out as I was on that scene?

Those animals were not acting. That was for real.

Does anyone know if they were really killed?

If so... then that is pathetic.

asked by Liam in Movies | 2998 views | 11-21-2009 at 11:29 PM

No, the monkey is not really killed in the laboratory. It was put in a cage filled with oxygen, and the cage was put on a set filled with carbon dioxide. When the cage door was opened, the monkey was simply rendered unconscious (though it does look a little painful). After the shot, the monkey was immediately revived with a breathing apparatus.
At least this is the explanation the movie makers gave to the animal protection agency when there were some complaints. Not sure if this is really true though.

answered by Makayla | 11-21-2009 at 11:30 PM

The original movie was low budget, but still had some really memorable images, including a very graphic scene of a monkey dying from the virus. The scene looks horribly real, but the directors and producers still swear to this day that although they did knock the monkey unconsious, they did not hurt it. Donít ask me how, it sure looks like a dead monkey to me.
But I believe them.

answered by Jaden | 11-21-2009 at 11:32 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.