Emma Sky Biography?

Emma Sky, is an unlikely figure in the milieu of the generally straitlaced American military. She is British, a civilian and a one-time opponent of the war, but nevertheless a political adviser, as well as confidante on many policy matters to the American commander, Gen. Ray Odierno.
Where can I read Emma Sky's Biography? I think her life is very interesting and want to know more.

asked by Kayla in Law & Ethics | 3561 views | 11-21-2009 at 04:43 PM

Emma Sky is the modern-day Gertrude Bell - a strong-minded woman having a unique impact on Iraq and influencing decisions taken by the United States since the invasion. Emma Sky, who lives in Battersea, South London, when she is not roaming around a war zone in her role as political adviser, has the ear of General Ray Odierno, commander of US forces in Iraq, making her potentially the most influential Briton in the country.

Her efforts, from the early days of the conflict until now, earned the Oxford graduate, who speaks Arabic and Hebrew, an OBE last year.

“It is a fascinating society,” she said of Iraq. “They have got things here that we have totally lost in the West: the appreciation of each other, whether it is the family, the clan or the tribe; values that aren't capitalist.”

answered by Lillian | 11-21-2009 at 04:45 PM

I can't find her biography either. So far this is all I found about her:

Emma Sky has worked in conflict zones from Israel to Afghanistan, spent more time on the ground in Iraq than most soldiers and knows tribal leaders from the northern city of Kirkuk to the southern city of Basra.

One senior foreign diplomat said that the very presence of a civilian political adviser at the right hand of a senior American military commander was a sign of the extent to which military strategy now strives to take into account the political and cultural landscape of conflict.

Emma Sky sees herself as part aid worker, part political operator, part cultural translator. "I'm experienced in working in different cultures. The most alien culture I've ever worked in is the U.S. military," she said, with characteristic candour. "I was used to working in the humanitarian space, the diplomatic space. I came to Iraq and that space, the military, is all over it."

answered by Lillian | 11-21-2009 at 04:46 PM

if you want info on emma sky, look at thomas rick's book the gamble. He has a section on her. She is truly a fascinating and inspirational character.

answered by Guest | 01-24-2010 at 01:54 AM

Any more information about Emma Sky anyone?
Has she settled down now ?

answered by Pablo | 12-04-2010 at 06:06 AM

First of all that is not her picture. Second she is a walking, talking disaster area. Third take a look at the recently declassified testimony she gave to the British Chilcott Inquiry into Iraq in January 2011 and run like Hell ... how on earth did that woman walk on to a plane at Brize Norton and end up in the 'inner, inner circle' round US General Odierno ... what ever happened to security vetting.

answered by Guest | 06-04-2011 at 05:27 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.