Who Invented The Cell Phone And Why?

I have engineer friends who have given me various different answers....
who invented the first cell phone and why?
Is it true that the cell phone was invented to help soldiers communicate in war territory? Or is it just a myth? Was it Motorola the inventor of the cell phone?
I need information on this person for my school project.

asked by Dylan in Mobile Phones | 1917 views | 11-20-2009 at 01:23 PM

If you want to know who was the first who got the idea of creating a cellular phone the answer is the American Telephone & Telegraph which is no other than AT&T from the United States, which was the world's largest telephone company and the world's largest cable television operator, with $300 billion dollars revenue. It was purchased by Baby Bell SBC Communications in 2005.

In April 1973, Dr Martin Cooper, former general manager for the systems division at Motorola, invented the mobile phone prototype and made the first call to Joel Engel, his rival, head of research at Bell Labs.

Copper was a project manager at Motorola and the world’s first mobile phone was Motorola Dyna-Tac, a 2.5 pounds handset measuring 9 x 5 x 1.75 inches, featuring 30 circuit boards, 35 minutes talk time, 10 hours recharge time, and having just three functionalities: dial, talk and listen. He, together with his colleagues, published the patent for the world’s first portable duplex radio telephone system.

answered by Alexis | 11-20-2009 at 01:25 PM

Dr Martin Cooper, a former general manager for the systems division at Motorola, is considered the inventor of the first portable handset and the first person to make a call on a portable cell phone in April 1973. The first call he made was to his rival, Joel Engel, Bell Labs head of research.

AT&T's research arm, Bell Laboratories, introduced the idea of cellular communications in 1947. But Motorola and Bell Labs in the sixties and early seventies were in a race to incorporate the technology into portable devices.

Cooper, now 70, wanted people to be able to carry their phones with them anywhere.

answered by Elizabeth | 11-20-2009 at 01:26 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.