Remember Remember The 5th of November Full Poem?

I know V chose the 5th of November date for a reason and I know the rhyme that refers to the guy executed for treason, but I was wondering if it referred to anything else within the plot or just that? I saw the movie a while ago but now that it's November 5 I want to make sure I have it right.
I like the poem but I always find the first part, I want to read the full poem, can you post it here?

Remember Remember The 5th of November...

asked by Aura in Books & Writing | 153777 views | 11-05-2009 at 12:20 PM

yes on the 5th of November 1605, Guy Fawkes plot was discovered, Londoners were encouraged to celebrate the King's escape from assassination by lighting bonfires in the city

The story became public knowledge and fell into folk law with the Guy Fawkes poem: Remember Remember, the fifth of November:

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
the Gunpowder Treason and Plot,

I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, t’was his intent to blow up King and Parliament.

Three score barrels were laid below to prove old England’s overthrow;
By God’s mercy he was catch’d with a dark lantern and lighted match.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip hoorah!

However there is a second verse, one that is totally unsuitable for this Politically Correct society in which we live.

A penny loaf to feed the Pope
A farthing o’ cheese to choke him.

A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A ****** of sticks to burn him.

Burn him in a tub of tar.
Burn him like a blazing star.

Burn his body from his head.
Then we’ll say ol’ Pope is dead.

Hip hip hoorah!
Hip hip hoorah hoorah!

answered by Candy | 11-05-2009 at 12:22 PM

there is nothing wrong with using the term ****** when speaking of a bundle of sticks. There is no reason to put stars in its stead. Political correctness is getting ridiculous.

answered by Guest | 09-16-2010 at 04:23 PM

There's also no reason to censor sucking ****, i mean it's a good thing, we all want our **** sucked.

answered by Guest | 10-18-2010 at 01:16 AM

to all who are reading and wondering what is getting censored its the word ******. its an old term for a bundle of wood

answered by Guest | 10-25-2010 at 11:29 AM

I really like this quote. It's a wonderful rhyme. I was just looking for it on the web after I watched V for vendetta.
Is there a song with this lyrics?
I just love how all the words are arranged peacefully in the poem.

It has a deep meaning, I just love V for vendetta, it became one of my favorite movies.

answered by Tyler | 11-05-2010 at 05:26 AM

Fit a good girl on top.
Now take the first letter of each word, and that is the word that is stared out.
I wonder if that will be edited too...

answered by Guest | 11-09-2010 at 04:21 AM

I really get tired of people complaining about political correctness. When you see this term and think it's infringing on your right to express yourself, try replacing the words "politically correct" with "respectful." That being said, the use of the term f a g g o t to mean a bundle of sticks is not problematic and isn't an issue of respectfulness. It's not related to the non-PC (read disrespectful) use of the word meaning a derogatory term for gay or Queer people (the latter seems more likely a derivation of an old English slang meaning old woman).

answered by sdterp | 12-03-2010 at 06:30 AM

In this context, f****t means bundle of wood.

answered by Guest | 01-30-2011 at 07:03 AM

That word is automatically being censored.

answered by Guest | 02-21-2011 at 12:17 AM

A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A f***** of sticks to burn him.

answered by Guest | 03-11-2011 at 06:34 AM

I wonder what the word with all those stars says. I'm really curious why the poem has a bad word and it's actually so bad that it has to be censored.

answered by Guest | 07-21-2011 at 08:02 AM

How come that word is censored? It's funny because everyone that has tried to display the word has failed.
They go like, this is the word ******. Haha, it's funny.
Love the poem by the way.

answered by Guest | 07-27-2011 at 10:52 PM

Perhaps the spelling I learned for that word years ago--and have never seen used in any other context?

answered by Guest | 08-15-2011 at 08:32 PM

This thread is so funny, everyone is trying to write the word f***** and make it visible but the censoring thing won't let you, haha.

answered by Guest | 09-10-2011 at 08:58 PM

In this context it has 1 g not 2, F*got. It got turned into the whole double g slur against homosexuals because bundles of sticks would be used to burn people at the stakes and people who were different from the norm got burned.

answered by Guest | 10-09-2011 at 04:16 AM

That is not the full poem if one of the words is missing, for some reason it just won't show up because the forum censors it.
That's because it is considered an insult in some places of the world.

answered by Guest | 10-21-2011 at 07:37 PM

The word starts with F and rhymes with maggot. In most of the British Empire that word refers to a lit match or stick or anything one would light a fire with.

answered by Guest | 10-22-2011 at 05:03 PM

I'm from the UK, the place of the gunpowder plot and the most common use for the word ****** over here is type of meat ball served in gravy soit a word with to meany meanings to bother censoring.

And as to the gun powder plot I say that every person should mark the 5th of November with a bonfire to remind governments not to push people to far because if current world events show anything its that the people will rise and rise again to fight their government if they need to.

answered by Guest | 10-23-2011 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Fit a good girl on top.
Now take the first letter of each word, and that is the word that is stared out.
I wonder if that will be edited too...
THANK YOU! At first I didn't know what the word was and I didn't know why it was starred, now I understand.
I was so confused! lol ^_^

answered by Guest | 10-30-2011 at 02:41 AM

The Word
The word is ****** and it means a bundle of sticks. That's it, problem solved with all this censorship stuff.

answered by Guest | 10-31-2011 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
And as to the gun powder plot I say that every person should mark the 5th of November with a bonfire to remind governments not to push people to far because if current world events show anything its that the people will rise and rise again to fight their government if they need to.
But that's not the original point of Guy Fawkes day, it was meant to commemorate the King surviving the assassination attempt.

answered by Guest | 11-02-2011 at 07:48 PM

I have also seen the word in question used in reference to a cigarette "Give us a ******, mate."

answered by Guest | 11-03-2011 at 05:56 AM

A thought on political correctness.

What gives one the right to parade their non-conformity in public also gives others the right to object to it. It's called freedom for all.

answered by Guest | 11-03-2011 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
to all who are reading and wondering what is getting censored its the word ******. its an old term for a bundle of wood
Yes, a ****** is a bundle of sticks and they used to take homosexuals and wrap them up and then burn them for being homosexual hence the attachment of the term to gay people. Not very nice or enlightened behavior.

answered by Guest | 11-04-2011 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdterp View Post
I really get tired of people complaining about political correctness. When you see this term and think it's infringing on your right to express yourself, try replacing the words "politically correct" with "respectful." That being said, the use of the term f a g g o t to mean a bundle of sticks is not problematic and isn't an issue of respectfulness. It's not related to the non-PC (read disrespectful) use of the word meaning a derogatory term for gay or Queer people (the latter seems more likely a derivation of an old English slang meaning old woman).
Stop. Whining. I find your politically correct (read "asinine") attitude incredibly disrespectful.

answered by leviathanchaff | 11-05-2011 at 02:36 AM

imaguest
I bet I can beat this censor:
A f****t of sticks.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 07:36 AM

UK vs U.S.A. meaning of the word "******"
The poem was written in the 17th century in the UK. ****** in the UK means "A bundle of sticks and branches bound together" and also "A ball of chopped meat and liver mixed with bread and herbs, eaten fried or baked."

They are not saying the Pope was gay. We in the U.S. started to use the term fag and ****** to refer to gay people quite some time after the 1600.

There is nothing in the poem which should offend a well informed reader.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 08:02 AM

"The People" didn't rise up though...

The Pope wanted to punish Europe for breaking off from Catholicism and making their monarchs new religious leaders, which was considered then worse than blasphemy.

answered by Benwinn | 11-05-2011 at 09:21 AM

Fagot... or bundle of sticks
Just so you guys know.... it's censored not because of our overly protective, censor crazed society... No, while I agree that we are that, a ****** is a bundle of sticks used to shove violently up the bottom of a gay man... until they died. It wasn't a form of torture then, but rather a proper punishment for being gay. While I don't think "having our ***** sucked" should be censored, I do believe that ****** should be censored considering our societies use of the word to insult gay people.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 10:00 AM

no one clued to do this?
Quote:
The poem was written in the 17th century in the UK. ****** in the UK means "A bundle of sticks and branches bound together" and also "A ball of chopped meat and liver mixed with bread and herbs, eaten fried or baked."

They are not saying the Pope was gay. We in the U.S. started to use the term fag and ****** to refer to gay people quite some time after the 1600.

There is nothing in the poem which should offend a well informed reader.
*****, but not FAG is censored here... odd.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 10:19 AM

I was looking for the full poem and I found it, well it's not exactly full because a word is missing but I know what that word is so it doesn't matter, had s*x.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 12:42 PM

the censored word context
Quote:
In this context it has 1 g not 2, F*got. It got turned into the whole double g slur against homosexuals because bundles of sticks would be used to burn people at the stakes and people who were different from the norm got burned.
The real reason they called them that was because at that time, they regarded them as worthless as a bundle of sticks to be used as kindling or a base for a fire, even to burn someone else.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, I find no indication that the spelling changes the meaning. The one-g and two-g spellings were used interchangeably up through the 17th century, and always referred to a bundle of sticks. Its use as a slur didn't happen until the early 20th century, after the one-g spelling had been largely eliminated.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 08:06 PM

I think that the person who answered was saying that the second part of the poem was un PC because it is anti catholic, rather that because the use of the F word.

answered by Guest | 11-05-2011 at 11:17 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.