Is Mayo Clinic Expensive?

I called the Mayo Clinic but they are very vague on the phone about prices. They won't tell me anything and ask me to go to the clinic.
I know the service is great but my insurance will only pay 60% here. 85% at other places. I've heard the mayo can be pretty expensive.
What are the average prices. Is it really expensive?

asked by Rivr in Men's Health | 4069 views | 11-01-2009 at 09:55 PM

Besides the medical costs, you should also look at transportation and (if staying one or more nights) hotel costs.

I had Mayo (Jax) as my primary care provider until about a year ago when my insurance cut back on the percentage it paid. At that time, a visit with my primary doctor was billing out at around $185 and a day's worth of lab work, X-rays and other similar tests was around $3500.

It's hard to say what the cost will be, given what tests needs to be ordered and how invasive they need to go, but to give you a rough idea, Mayo clinics usually have a 20% premium over other hospitals.

As for which is better, the original Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN is the best one. All the best med students and medical doctors are there. If cost is an option, try the one near your house.

answered by Doctor | 11-01-2009 at 09:59 PM

comment