Mole Day Facts?

I have to do a presentation to 6th graders about mole day. i can't seem to find any facts that the little kids would understand. does anybody have any ideas of where to get some?
do you know any facts they would find interesting?
Anything will be appreciated.

asked by Answer in Holidays | 28688 views | 10-23-2009 at 12:57 AM

Amazing Mole Facts
1. One mole of paper would make a stack that would reach to the moon more than 80 billion times
2. One mole of grains of sand would be more than all of the sand on Miami Beach
3. One mole of blood cells would be more than the total number of blood cells found in every human on earth
4. A one liter bottle of water contains 55.5 moles of water
5. There are 3 types of moles that live underground in North America: Eastern Mole, Hairy-Tailed Mole and Star-Nosed Mole.
6. One mole of inches would be1,616,434 light years, or across our galaxy and back 8 times
7. One mole of seconds is about 19 quadrillion years, 4,240,666 times the age of the earth, or 954,150 times the age of the universe itself
8. One mole of cents could repay the United States National Debt 86 million times

answered by Guest | 10-23-2009 at 12:58 AM

Mole Day is an unofficial holiday celebrated among chemists in North America on October 23, between 6:02 AM and 6:02 PM, making the date 6:02 10/23 in the American style of writing dates. The time and date are derived from the Avogadro constant, which is approximately 6.02×10 23, defining the number of particles (atoms or molecules) in a mole, one of the seven base SI units.

Mole Day originated in an article in The Science Teacher in the early 1980s. Inspired by this article, Maurice Oehler, now a retired high school chemistry teacher from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, founded the National Mole Day Foundation (NMDF) on May 15, 1991.

Many high schools around the United States, South Africa and in Canada celebrate Mole Day as a way to get their students interested in chemistry, with various activities often related to chemistry or moles. Since 2007 Mole Day has been celebrated in Smålandsstenar in Sweden.

answered by Carrie | 10-23-2009 at 01:02 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I was asked about this in school.

answered by Guest | 04-28-2010 at 04:26 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.