"My Word Is My Bond" Meaning?

I was reading a poetry book and at the end of all the texts the author writes "my word is my bond". I have wasted alot of time trying to figure out what that means, and I am stil clueless. Does anybody know the meaning of "My Word Is My Bond"? I'm very curious about this.

asked by OPtion in Languages | 54497 views | 10-07-2009 at 10:26 PM

The complete phrase is "my word is my bond" meaning that just by giving your word, one can be assured that the promise will be kept.

It's a maritime brokers' motto. Since 1801 the motto of the London Stock Exchange (in Latin "dictum meum pactum") where bargains are made with no exchange of documents and no written pledges being given.
"My word is my bond" as brokers say (or "my word, my bond!")

answered by Nala | 10-07-2009 at 10:27 PM

This is a reference to the popular movies featuring the MI6 agent known also as 007. Based on a book series.

answered by Guest | 10-27-2009 at 02:33 AM

I would just like to point out that the other guest's insistence that this is to do with 007 (i.e. James Bond) is a load of cuntybollocks.

Nala's response is the correct one.

answered by Guest | 03-02-2010 at 11:03 AM

i seriously doubt it has anything to do with 007.

the first part "my word" means my promise. it's like when people say "i give you 'my word' ". it's another way of promising.

the last part "my bond" means my connecting. I'd rather not use this metaphor but oh well. think of a chain. chains link one thing to another, bonding them together.

so the phase means that if you make a promise your words bind you to it. if you make a promise you intend to keep to it. when you say that phrase you are insuring that you will keep and honor your word or your promise.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 06:42 PM

the promise is the bond!

answered by Guest | 04-05-2010 at 08:05 PM

My word is my bond is frequently found in pagan text and refers to words having power. It means you are bound by your word. You do as you say. To be an oath breaker is one of the greatest ways to be dishonorable. In fact many pagan spells end with the phrase " As my will so mote it be," Or " As my word, it must be done.

answered by Guest | 09-05-2010 at 04:49 PM

A bond is what we currently issue (usually money, or property) that is given up if the promise fails. The person saying "my word is my bond" is saying my word should be the guarantee, and no written contract outlining obligations or penalties is necessary. A bond is not a chain link, it is a contractual agreement that outlines forfeiture if the obligation (or promise or contract) is broken.

answered by Guest | 10-28-2010 at 06:49 PM

No you're wrong its about james bond

answered by Guest | 11-19-2010 at 05:14 PM

LOL.
To be honest I'm really surprised that you didn't know what this means? Its so obvious! If you know what "My word" means and "My Bond" then you should have figured it out. I'm sorry but I'm just like wooooww! But yeah the first comment was correct tho and I doubt it had to do with James Bond!

answered by Guest | 12-03-2010 at 02:48 AM

My word is my bond means a promise. Has nothing to do with James Bond. Where would that tie into James Bond? its like in some African languages, there is no can't or tried. Its neither yes or no. You say you gonna do something you do it. My word is my bond. I say ima do it, ima do it.

answered by Guest | 02-27-2011 at 05:07 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.