Are The Oscars Rigged?

I love watching the Oscars but sometimes I think that maybe they are rigged. There are a lot of movies I think are really great and they didn't have even one nomination. Of course I keep watching it because when I see that a movie won an Oscar, I want to know more about the film, but most of the times I'm not agree with them and that's why I think that they are rigged. This year I don't know which one will win, because there are great nominations, but I hope this time they will be fair. Do you think that the Oscars are rigged?

asked by Shayla in Internet | 1698 views | 01-11-2013 at 12:56 PM

I don't think the Oscars are rigged, but The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the group that votes for the Oscars, are mostly white, male and a median age of 62, so the lack of diversity in the group affects the choices they make.
Most of the times I don't agree with the Oscars winners, and I though they were rigged because for example only one woman has ever won the best director Oscar, but now I know that the Oscar decision makers are 77% male, 94% white and latinos less than the 2 percent, so although I think this is wrong, I can understand the decision a little more.
I have to admit that when a movie wins an Oscar, I want to watch it, but now that I know this, I think that there should be more diversity in this selective group, especially to be fair and to not let people think they are rigged.

answered by Brenna | 01-11-2013 at 12:57 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.