Is The Winter Solstice a Religious Holiday?

I was talking with my family and we don't know if the Winter Solstice is a religious holiday or not. Maybe before it was but now people don't celebrate it so much so I think that it's not so important. My brother told me that it's important in some cultures but not in ours and that's why we don't celebrate the Winter Solstice as a religious holiday. Do you know something about this Winter Solstice? Is it a religious holiday?

asked by Alyssa in Internet | 1400 views | 12-21-2012 at 01:16 PM

I think that the winter solstice is not a religious holiday. This day in the Northern Hemisphere the night is longest and the day is the shortest. In ancient times people believed in a lot of different gods so they wanted to do gods happy again so they bring back the light and that's why they made a great festival like a gift birthday party for the sun.
Atheist don't believe in Christmas so a lot of them celebrate the Winter Solstice and that's why I don't think this is a religious holiday.
Although the Winter Solstice started as a pagan holiday, now around the world in different countries like Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador they celebrate this day like a religious holiday.

answered by Levi | 12-21-2012 at 01:17 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.