Is Christmas Really a Religious Holiday?

We had a huge discussion at home because I told my brothers that Christmas it is a religious holiday, but they told me it's not. They said that all this Christmas thing is just a comercial thing so the companies get benefits, and although sometimes I think this can be truth, I still believe that this day is a religious holiday, to celebrate our faith and get together with the family. Also, they told me Santa is the best example about how this is a comercial date, spending a lot of money and not doing what you have to do in a truly religious holiday, but I still have faith that we can change this, thinking what is really important this Christmas.

asked by Katherine22 in Holidays | 1619 views | 12-05-2012 at 06:16 PM

Both of you are right, Christmas is a religious holiday but we are losing the real meaning about what this day represents. We don't know exactly when Jesus was born, but they chose this day because they wanted to replace the pagan rituals such as the Winter Solstice. Christmas is a celebration, but it's more than just a religious day. Thanks to this holiday, a lot of families get together again, kids go to visit their parents and all the people are with a different spirit trying to spend a nice day with their relatives and friends. Of course, the stores and traders found a way of selling things fast and they took advantage of this, but what really matters is how YOU celebrate this day. If you wait this day just for the presents, you've entered to this commercial world, but if you remember what really matters and you spend time with your family being thankful for the wonderful life you have, Christmas will be really a religious holiday.

answered by Morgan | 12-05-2012 at 06:17 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.