Are Christmas Lights a Fire Hazard?

I have two small kids and according to the National Fire Protection Association, every year there are a lot of fire hazards from causes related with Christmas trees, and I think that maybe Christmas lights can produce this. We like to decorate our house with ornaments and this lights, but I'm really concern this year because maybe this Christmas lights are not good and they are a fire hazard. I don't know if I'm being too protective, but I want to spend Christmas happy and without any problem. Should I have to stop using this lights to prevent any fire hazard?

asked by Molly in Holidays | 1554 views | 11-30-2012 at 08:37 PM

Well, a lot of people will tell you that the fire hazards from Christmas lights are possible, but I was searching because I really like to put a lot of decoration in my house and the MythBusters made an experiment to prove if this is true, and the result was that the lights cannot produce fire. The protagonists, dressed a dry Christmas tree with 2,500 Christmas lights and after a few minutes the ambient temperature was 225 degrees Fahrenheit but it was not enough to burn down the tree. However you should be carefully with the cords or short circuits, because this may cause fire hazard if some spark goes to the Christmas tree. Of course you have to be carefully and more if you have small kids, but my advice is that you should not stop decorating your house with Christmas lights if that's what you like, always thinking of doing it in a safe way and you will be away of fire hazards.

answered by Laura | 11-30-2012 at 08:38 PM

umm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
I have two small kids and according to the National Fire Protection Association, every year there are a lot of fire hazards from causes related with Christmas trees, and I think that maybe Christmas lights can produce this. We like to decorate our house with ornaments and this lights, but I'm really concern this year because maybe this Christmas lights are not good and they are a fire hazard. I don't know if I'm being too protective, but I want to spend Christmas happy and without any problem. Should I have to stop using this lights to prevent any fire hazard?

Yes, they are so you can just put a few lights up or little stick figures in the yard. It's a really nice decoration and your family will love it.

answered by kya sonnier | 12-02-2012 at 03:40 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.