Is Diverticulitis hereditary and contagious?

A friend of mine has recently had diverticulitis and she's wondering whether the disease is hereditary or contagious because it has her family very worried. I told her to ask for professional advice because we have no idea whether diverticulitis is something you can heal from quickly or if it's something dangerous and contagious, we don't even know if it's hereditary. But just in case, I told her that she should stay away from people until she's fine again. However, no one in her family has had it before, so it must not be hereditary. Does anyone know if Diverticulitis is contagious?

asked by Sabrina in Diseases & Conditions | 5520 views | 01-01-2012 at 07:40 PM

No, diverticulitis is not hereditary or contagious. You can verify this with any doctor and they will tell you that diverticulitis is not transmitted from generation to generation (hereditary) and it doesn't transmit through contact (contagious) with certainty. However, your friend should have it treated so she doesn't get any infection or complications, although this is not a worrying illness.

Diverticulitis can be harmful for your general well being despite not being hereditary and contagious, so get her to the doctor.

answered by Barry | 01-01-2012 at 08:27 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.