Oklahoma Earthquake Map: New Madrid Fault Line?

The central US state of Oklahoma was rattled by a 5.6 magnitude earthquake felt as far away as Texas, the strongest ever to strike the area.
The earthquakes have been attributed to the New Madrid fault line, which has become more volatile in recent years.
Where can I see where the New Madrid fault line is located in a map of Oklahoma? I have no idea where it is.
The earthquake began early Saturday and continued intermittently through the weekend.
Do you think the Oklahoma quakes were caused by the New Madrid fault line?

asked by Destiny in Places of the World | 11826 views | 11-07-2011 at 01:25 AM

I think that the New Madrid Fault line is too far to the east, and the quake was centered just east of Oklahoma City in the town of Sparks, so I don't think the fault line caused it. I added a map below.
Geologists say this weekend's event are nearly 300 million years in the making.
Besides Oklahoma, the earthquake also affected people in the surrounding states of Illinois, Kansas, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Texas.
More than ten aftershocks measuring at east 3.0 magnitude were reported Sunday, in the hours after a 5.6-magnitude earthquake took residents by surprise Saturday night.
The strongest earthquake previously reported in Oklahoma was April 9, 1952, in El Reno, according to the geological survey. Its magnitude was 5.50.

In this video, you can see the New Madrid Fault Line map.

answered by Brendan | 11-07-2011 at 01:27 AM

The New Madrid fault is not just in Oklahoma, it actually covers parts of other states like Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Mississippi. Also, it is way bigger than the San Andreas fault located in California.

answered by Guest | 11-07-2011 at 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The New Madrid fault is not just in Oklahoma, it actually covers parts of other states like Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Mississippi. Also, it is way bigger than the San Andreas fault located in California.
The New Madrid fault line isn't in Oklahoma at all, and it's seismic zone barely brushes OK. It's more likely that the Wilzetta line is to blame for this weekend's tremors.

answered by HRM | 11-07-2011 at 03:57 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.