McAfee Virus DAT 5958 Fix?

Is McAfee DAT file 5958 bad? Is it a virus?

I ask because my network is infected with the W32\Wecorl.a virus. I looked, and all the unaffected comps on the network are running old DAT releases. The computers running DAT 5958 are down.

McAfee's "DAT" file version 5958 is causing widespread problems all over the web. I searched for the term and it seems everyone is experiencing the same issue. The affected systems will enter a reboot loop and loose all network access. The bad DAT file may infect individual workstations as well as workstations connected to a domain.

Is there a fix for this problem?

asked by Garrett in Software | 3067 views | 04-21-2010 at 07:28 PM

This is a fix that worked for me.

Boot in "Safe Mode."

From another computer, copy this file for a flash drive:
http://download.nai.com/products/mca...corl/extra.dat

Place this file in the McAfee directory where the DAT files are stored on the infected computer:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\Engine
It might also be listed as:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee

Reboot the computer.
This fix worked in my case.

answered by Tom | 04-21-2010 at 07:30 PM

McAfee is aware of a w32/wecorl.a false positive with the 5958 DAT file that was released on April 21, 2010.

You get the blue screen or DCOM error, followed by shutdown messages after updating to the 5958 DAT on April 21, 2010.

If the false detection has deleted or quarantined svchost.exe on your system:

IMPORTANT: Ensure that you have applied the EXTRA.DAT to suppress the false positive detection before restoring svchost.exe.

Copy the svchost.exe from a working system

1. On a computer that is not affected by the issue, navigate to the location below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32
2. Copy svchost.exe to a network location or removable media device.
3. On the affected system, copy svchost.exe to the location below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32

4. Restart the affected computer.

This should solve the problem.

answered by Bolt | 04-21-2010 at 07:31 PM

I had the same problem in Windows XP.

It has been revealed that the Windows XP systems that were troubled most by the McAfee update are those which had Microsoft Service Pack 3 installed.

This fix didn't work for me. What should I do?

answered by Albert | 04-21-2010 at 11:17 PM

Hi, guys, registered to thank you for the great solution provided in here. You've saved tones of my nerves and time.

answered by sharon93 | 10-28-2011 at 06:19 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.