Stink Bug Control in Garden?

Stink bug control has been somewhat of a problem in my garden.
I was told a very good bit of advice when trying to get rid of stink bugs: do not, under any circumstances, crush them. Now I want to know how to eliminate them from my garden, how do I get rid of stink bugs?

asked by Mr Dom in Garden & Landscape | 5739 views | 09-24-2009 at 02:00 AM

Some ways you can get the stinky bugs off your property.

1. Seal your house properly.
The best way to get rid of stink bugs from your home is simply to deny them access in the first place. Thoroughly check the outside of your house and make sure that there aren't any cracks or holes that the bugs may use to get inside. Place screens on your windows as well as on the doors, and for those that already have them, check to see that they don't have any holes. Most cracks can usually be found around windows, doors, utility pipes, behind chimneys, or underneath wood fascia. If you do see any cracks or holes, cover them up with boards or, better yet, use a cement sealant. These are better since they can conform to the shape of the hole, so you don't need any boards sticking out of your house's interior or exterior walls. Make sure that you do this before the stink bugs start infesting, which is usually during the end of fall when nights become cold.

2. Treat the outside of your home with chemical repellents.
The best time to do this is during fall before they start to migrate inside your home. Spray the surrounding area as well as the outside of your home with cypermethrin. It is a synthetic compound that is primarily used as an insecticide. In insects, it is a fast-acting neurotoxin. While it is easily degraded with applied to soils and plants, when applied indoors on inert surfaces, it can be effective for weeks. Use a sprayer to spray the chemicals (For sprayer information, read The guide to sprayers). However, since a stink bug's outer skin is tough and may not be easily vulnerable to normal sprays, use what is called a “spreader sticker”. The sticker will allow the pesticide to penetrate much faster. Spray the treatment up as high as you can outside your house and allow it to drip down for complete and thorough coverage. A well-sprayed structure will provide an invisible wall of defense that the stink bugs will not be able to penetrate. Most homes will require two to three gallons of the treatment to get good coverage so it's up to you whether it is worth it to have added protection from stink bugs.

3. Use vacuum cleaners.
Vacuum cleaners do more than just suck dirt and cobwebs, they're also effective in sucking those pesky stink bugs that managed to gain entry to your house. Make sure, though, that once you've sucked all of them in, immediately seal the bag and throw them somewhere that's far away. You may squash them when they're inside the bag and then throw them in the landfill. Having a bag full of squashed stink bugs may not be wise to keep around the house.

answered by Amberu | 09-24-2009 at 02:02 AM

If you have stink bugs in your garden, the first thing you should do is remove weeds, because the bugs can use the weeds as a cover. To deter the bugs from your house, remove weeds and foliage near the house, forcing the animals to cross barren ground to gain access to the structure. After you have removed weeds and other foliage which could be used as cover, you can try scattering kaolin clay around the area, or spray your plants with a kaolin clay solution. Stink bugs are not able to lay eggs and feed on plants covered in this harmless mineral clay, which can simply be washed off any vegetables and fruits.

If you're lucky, your stink bugs will be attacked by predators and parasites. A number of organisms will attack stink bug eggs, and while these organisms are not available for commercial sale, they may be present in your area, especially if you live in an agricultural community. Many state-sponsored stink bug control methods have focused on the release of such parasites, protecting crops and gardens in the areas that they are released.

If these measures do not work, a number of companies produce organic insecticide soaps which are targeted at stink bugs, and you can also use chemical insecticides which are formulated for various stink bug species. Before using insecticides, however, be aware that insecticides are highly toxic and difficult to deal with, and they should really only be considered as a last resort.

If stink bugs have penetrated your house, the first thing you need to do is to stop the problem from getting any worse. Use caulk to seal the house thoroughly, paying special attention to the areas where stink bugs are crawling through. Then, use a vacuum to suck up the bugs; you don't want to crush or kill them, because this could attract more stink bugs and feed other insect populations in your house. Once you have pulled as many stink bugs out of the house as possible, empty the vacuum canister outside, or throw out the bag. You may need to repeat this process several times if the bugs are in the walls.

answered by Nena | 09-24-2009 at 02:03 AM

Stinkbugs have killed many plants in my garden, but I’ve noticed they stay away from the Chive, the Garlic chive, the Basel and the hot pepper plant. I wonder if I use the white oil 50/50 (50% oil and 50% water blended with a little dish soap) and add the juices from those plants, would that deter them even more?

answered by AitchH | 09-29-2009 at 11:51 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.