Is Scarlet Fever contagious and deadly?

Scarlet fever is a bacterial illness which is known to cause a distinctive pink-red rash in the skin.
At first I thought the disease affected only children but I heard adults can also get Scarlet Fever. Is it contagious? Is it true that it can be deadly if not treated properly?
I'm worried because my throat hurts and I'm having a fever, please let me know the common symptoms of Scarlet Fever.

asked by Devin in Diseases & Conditions | 4034 views | 06-22-2011 at 04:26 PM

Usually, if a person has a scarlet rash and other symptoms of strep throat, it can be treated with antibiotics.
People who have scarlet fever are considered contagious until they have had at least 24 hours of antibiotic treatment.
As any other disease, it can be deadly if you don't take good care of yourself and get the right treatment and medication.

Some of the symptoms of Scarlet Fever are sore and red throat, red tongue, fever, headache, and swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
Ordinarily scarlet fever evolves from the initial illness of strep throat, although the rash only occurs in 10% of the cases of strep throat.

answered by Marian | 06-22-2011 at 04:29 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.