I am doing a school thing and I need some pirate phrases and their meanings. Please remember I need the MEANINGS also, because I'm supposed to make a "pirate" word dictionary.
I prefer some funny pirate phrases.
09-19-2009 at 03:52 PM
* All Hands Hoay! - "All Hands on Deck!", everyone on the ship called to the deck, usually for action
* Avast - "Avast Ye!" from the Dutch term for 'hold fast' and means "Stop and pay attention.", like, "Get a load of this."
* Black Spot - a death threat among pirates made of a black spot or mark on a scrap of paper with more specific detail sometimes written on the other side, referred to in the story, Treasure Island.
* Dance the Hempen Jig - To hang, (rope was often made of hemp fibers)
* Dungbie - rear end
* Go on Account -a tongue-in-cheek description pirates used that compared the act of becoming a pirate to going into business
* Hempen Halter- The hangman's noose.
* Hornswaggle - To cheat or defraud, often of money or belongings, Yosemite Sam knows a lot about it
* Shiver me timbers! - akin to "Blow me down!", an expression of shock or disbelief, believed to come from the sound the ship made when 'shocked' by running aground or hit by a cannon blast.