Astaxanthin Benefits and Side Effects?

Astaxanthin is a naturally occurring carotenoid that is closely related to beta-carotene and Lutein. Because of its unique structure, it provides a wide range of antioxidant benefits.

One of my friends said that I should eat food that has Astaxanthin, so I can improve my vision and keep my eyes healthy.

Astaxanthin belongs to a group of pigments called carotenoids. It is the principal pigment that gives salmonids their pink colour.

What is a source of Astaxanthin? What are the health benefits and side effects of Astaxanthin?

asked by Eva in Drugs & Medicine | 2864 views | 01-19-2011 at 02:11 AM

The best foods sources for Astaxanthin are marine plants, salmon, shrimp, trout and other seafoods.

As a benefit, Astaxanthin provides significantly more antioxidant capacity than other carotenoids and antioxidants such as beta-carotene and Vitamin E.

Astaxanthin has also been proven to protect your brain, eyes and nervous system, improve athletic performance and give you a better vision.

Though some studies have showed that it has a very low rate for causing side effects, some people have experienced negative side effects of use, such as reduced calcium levels and blood pressure decreases.

Astaxanthin is used for treating diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, “brain attack” (stroke), high cholesterol, and an eye condition called age-related macular degeneration (AMD). It is also used in some cases for preventing cancer.

answered by Marshall | 01-19-2011 at 02:13 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.