Can Humans Get Parvo?

My 7 month old dog had parvo is it contagious to humans? Can humans get infected with the parvo disease from dogs? How do I get rid of it?

asked by Sonia in Diseases & Conditions | 4649 views | 09-11-2009 at 06:26 PM

Yes- although not the same as the canine variety. It causes "fifth disease" (AKA erythema infectiosum), which is somewhat common in children. Fifth disease is characterized by a bright red rash on the face- which looks like the person has been slapped. It is usually mild, but can cause a form of anemia.

answered by Dina | 09-11-2009 at 06:26 PM

Yes they should go outside. If you can afford it, they need a vet as well or they will die soon (if they have the disease) I honestly don't know if a human can get parvo, but I wouldn't want to take that chance.

answered by Cally | 09-11-2009 at 06:26 PM

We are currently treating our puppy for parvo. The vet told us to do our whole yard in a 10% bleach solution. The same solution has been used to treat my entire house. It has not stained or bleached any of the furniture. I wish all of you luck. And well, our puppy is well on her way to survival.

answered by Flinstone | 09-11-2009 at 06:27 PM

Parvo shot
We just gave our puppy a hot she needed. She cried and panicked of course, but a bit of the solution from the needle got left over on her fur. When she came to me all of it transferred from her fur to my shoulder. Can I contract parvo from having contact to the liquid from the parvo shots?

answered by Lillian | 10-01-2010 at 08:39 PM

comment