Can Humans Get Fleas?

I've never heard of anyone having fleas before, just curious. Is it possible for humans to get fleas? Or are we safe?

asked by Gerr in Men's Health | 56313 views | 09-08-2009 at 05:07 PM

A flea can temporarily be walking around your body for someplace to bite, but no, people can't be hosts for dog or cat fleas. But human fleas can live on people and often they will prefer the pubic area over the head hair.

answered by Amy | 09-08-2009 at 05:08 PM

Yes humans can unfortunately get fleas on their hair and also their body.

answered by Dame | 09-08-2009 at 05:08 PM

Over 2,000 species of flea have been identified around the world. Only about 30 different species live in the USA. They are all fleas but some are more attracted to cats, others like dogs, others like chickens and so on and so forth i.e., they are species specific. Fleas spend most of their time in the environment, not on a pet or human. Humans are affected by a few species of flea, including the dog, cat, and rat flea. The cat flea (for instance) would prefer to get a blood meal from a cat, but when a human happens along and they are hungry, they may jump on the opportunity.

For some unknown reason, fleas seem to like some people in the family more than others, often women and children. People affected by fleas may develop red spots and experience itching sensations. If the person has an allergic reaction to the flea bite the itching could become intolerable without medication.

I hope this helps settle the argument. Although I don't know of a species of flea specific to humans, people can definitely get bit by fleas living in the environment.

answered by Aron | 09-08-2009 at 05:09 PM

Yes humans can get fleas. If the fleas get under you skin and start laying eggs you will develop a condition called
scabies. When you shower you will get rid of the fleas on you.
In order to rid your home you must spray the carpet and furniture.
Wash your bed sheets and vacuum your mattress. In 14 days,
less if it is really humid, you must do the routine all over again.
Every time you vacuum you will cause flea eggs to hatch.
There is a flea powder you can sprinkle on your carpet to kill
the fleas embedded in your carpet.

answered by Flutt | 09-08-2009 at 05:09 PM

This really "bugged" me so I need to clear it up. First of all, fleas do not lay their eggs "under" the skin. They lay eggs on or near the hair follicle. Scabies is a condition caused by a species of mite and are totally unrelated to fleas.
Fleas are very species specific. There are fleas that prefer humans, but you will see several fleas on you not just one or two. We live in an area where sand fleas are abundant, but showering will get rid of any fleas that have hitched a ride. What you need to understand is that if you have an animal that was infested with fleas and then are treated with medication may be just fine, but the environment is not. Yards, carpets, and bedding need to be treated as well. Vacuuming often, washing bedding in hot water and bleach if possible and even using bug bombs will take care of the environment.

answered by ajwhitti | 05-26-2011 at 03:16 PM

comment