Pork and Sauerkraut Slow Cooker Time & Recipe?

Just looking for a good pork and sauerkraut recipe for New Years Day, anybody have one that they love? This is my first attempt using my new Rival Slow cooker.
I am trying to eat a little healthier and wanted to try a new recipe.

My grandma used to serve the Pork and Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes and applesauce and dinner rolls. It is the lucky New Years Day dish to be served for good fortune.

How long do you cook the Pork and Sauerkraut, what is the exact time and at what temperature?

asked by Haley in Foods | 1920 views | 01-01-2011 at 09:49 PM

In some parts of the country it's thought that if you eat Pork and Sauerkraut at the beginning of the New Year you'll get luckier.

Here's an easy recipe for Pork and Sauerkraut in the slow cooker.

Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut

1 (4 pound) pork loin roast
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups sauerkraut with liquid

Cut pork loin, if necessary, to fit in the slow cooker. Season with caraway seeds, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauerkraut over the roast.
Cook on High for 1 hour, then cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours. Internal temperature of the roast should be at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

You can add as many different vegetables to this as you like, and spice it in different ways - mustard is a nice additive.

If your slow cooker isn't big enough to hold all the ingredients, cook one package of sauerkraut and half the apples, brown sugar, and apple juice in another cooker. Then mix the ingredients of both cookers together before serving.

answered by Adriana | 01-01-2011 at 09:50 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.