Geminid Meteor Shower December 2010 Viewing Peak?

The Geminid meteor shower is an annual mid-December rain of meteors that will reach its height tonight December 13, 2010, and early tomorrow morning.

The meteor shower reoccurs every year as the earth passes through debris left by the extinct Phaethon comet. According to NASA, the Geminids have an interesting story.

December isn't exactly prime time for sitting out in the cold and dark, but tonight could be the exception, I love to watch meteor showers and sometimes take pictures and video.

Anyone venturing out tonight for the Geminid Meteor Shower should look for the darkest skies they can find – well away from the urban corridor. The moon will set around midnight, leaving what should be a clear, dark, crisp winter sky for meteor viewing.

Does anyone know the exact time of the Geminid Meteor Shower peak? What is the best location for viewing it?

asked by Lana in Astronomy & Space | 3225 views | 12-13-2010 at 09:44 PM

Any time after dark, going through the evening and to the early hours of the morning is the best time to see the December 2010 Geminid meteor shower.

At its peak the Geminid meteor shower will mean two meteors every minute are visible burning in the atmosphere and leaving yellow streaks across the night sky.

Under the darkest skies, meteor counts can exceed 80 per hour. They’ll seem to radiate from the constellation Gemini, rising in the east in late evening.

The sky will be the darkest after the first quarter moon sets, between 11 p.m. and midnight in your time zone.

The Geminids have been rising in intensity and brightness, and the upcoming show may outshine the more famous August Perseids as the best meteor shower of 2010.

answered by Helen | 12-13-2010 at 09:46 PM

I saw them 12:00-12:11 and only saw five. The ones i saw were cool but I think I was looking in the wrong place because they were flashes in the sky.

answered by Guest | 12-14-2010 at 05:14 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.