Hanukkah Traditional Greetings, Messages & Wishes?

What would be a traditional Hanukkah phrase that could be used as a greeting?

Is it appropriate to acknowledge Hanukkah by sending them a "Happy Hanukkah" card...since I can't send them a Christmas card. Or would it be inappropriate, since I'm not Jewish.

I want to make a greeting card for my boss with a nice traditional message or wish and since I'm neither Jewish nor fluent in Hebrew, I thought I should ask.

I just don't want to offend, he is very devout. Should I also buy him a gift? Is is something considered appropriate for Hanukkah?

asked by Kate in Holidays | 12004 views | 12-02-2010 at 05:18 AM

First of all, remember that Hanukkah is not "Jewish Christmas." It is a very minor holiday compared to many others in the Jewish calendar.

You don't have to be Jewish to send a Chanukah card to someone who is.
Most people would say "chag Chanukah sameach." The phrase, directly translated, means "Happy Chanukah Holiday. You could also just say "chag sameach," which means "Happy Holiday" and is universal for every Jewish holiday outside of the High Holy Days (Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur).
Those greetings are very traditional.

It's always appropriate to wish someone who observes a holiday the correct wishes for it.
You can just wish him a Happy Chanukah. He'll like that.

A Channuka gift may be politically smart, but totally unnecessary from a Channuka standpoint.

answered by Edwin | 12-02-2010 at 05:19 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.