Buckyballs Magnets Wiki?

What are buckyballs magnets? Can somebody explain to me what a bucky ball is?
I tried wikipedia but no wiki page about buckyballs was made yet. It's an assignment for my kid's science class.
I've tried looking for a description of buckyball magnets in other websites but every site i go on it uses complicated science vocabulary.
Can anyone explain to me what are buckyballs and why are they so popular right now?

asked by Stone in Toys | 6756 views | 08-31-2010 at 07:30 PM

Bucky balls are nothing more than a nearly sphere shaped object with each of its faces being either hexagons or pentagons. They resemble the pattern on a soccer ball.
If you’ve never played with Buckyballs before, you’re missing out on a ton of fun. Created by Jake Bronstein and Craig Zucker, the buckyballs is a set of 216 rare earth magnets that you can shape, mold, tear apart and snap back into virtually unlimited shapes.
With Buckyballs you can build basic shapes, complex sculptures, magnetic jewelry, or even outfit your refrigerator in bold and unique ways.
The video explains it better.

answered by Orange | 08-31-2010 at 07:31 PM

I think this video answers your question about buckyballs better. The entertaining documentary explains the history of buckyballs. It is a buckyballs documentary that also shows the commercial use of buckyballs which has really a science background.

Buckyballs Australia actually have some history because the buckyball material, carbon C60, is mined predominantly in Australia. I have not seen buckyballs in any shops but they can be bought online.The Buckyballs documentary explains how carbon c60 dust turns into a commercial buckyballs and why the buckyballs are so popular amongst the science comunity. I hope this answers your question regarding the buckyball magnetic cube.

answered by drbuckyballs | 11-05-2010 at 07:02 PM

The term "Buckyballs" refers to two separate things: Carbon 60, a soccer-ball shaped molecule, has nothing to do with the toy magnets.

answered by Guest | 12-27-2010 at 04:29 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.