Turkey Brine Recipe For Smoking?

I'm smoking a turkey for thanksgiving. Should I brine it first?
I have never brined anything before. But I want my turkey to come out juicy as possible so I would like to follow a recipe.
Bought an 11 pound turkey that i want to smoke and I am using an electric smoker.

I need to know how and how long to smoke my turkey, any other tips are welcome as well...
I want to make my turkey have an awesome flavor even if you dont eat the skin!

asked by Ayden in Foods | 2050 views | 11-24-2010 at 08:11 PM

I highly recommend brining your thanksgiving turkey but it will be good regardless.
I had never done this until last year and the flavor was really good and the meat very moist.

Last year I brined our Thanksgiving turkey with some dried herbs, whole peppercorns, salt and sugar. If you're smoking the turkey, a good counter-point type of flavor might be to go for a sweeter or even a fruity brine.

Smoking turkey is much easier than you realize.

Start your smoker and heat to 225 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes. I use non-stick oil based spray on the grate to prevent sticking later. Follow your smoker safe cooking instructions, however most tell you to maintain a cooking temperature of at least 225 degrees while smoking. I smoke turkey with hickory chips soaked.

OK, here's the recipe.
Smoked Turkey Brine

This turkey brine recipe makes enough for a whole turkey and will add flavor and give you a juicier and more tender bird.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 1 gallon of brine
Ingredients:

* 1 gallon water
* 1 cup salt (1 1/2 cups Kosher or coarse salt)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 6 fresh tarragon leaves or 1/4 cup dried tarragon
* 1 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation:
The water you use should not be chlorinated. If you don't have easy access to good spring water. Boil it first, let the water cool and then add all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Place Turkey in large non-metallic dish and cover completely with brine. Let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour per pound. Remove Turkey from Brine, rinse thoroughly and pat dry. Coat with olive oil. Place in Smoker.

answered by Julia | 11-24-2010 at 08:12 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.