Veterans Day Quotes, Poems and Sayings?

What are some inspirational quotes about veterans day?
I have to do this essay about honoring America's veterans and I want to end it with a famous quote, poem or saying.
I would appreciate any help you can give me.

And I also want to thank all soldiers, veterans and soldiers fighting for us right now. Thank you again and have a wonderful Veteran's Day.

asked by Audrey in Holidays | 9676 views | 11-10-2010 at 07:21 PM

These are my favorite Veterans Day quotes and sayings:

"For it has been said so truthfully that it is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the agitator, who has given us the freedom to protest. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives that protester the freedom to abuse and burn that flag." - Zell Miller

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." General Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Because all of us believe and understand in the fabric of the common bond of why we call ourselves American is to care for the men and women who wear the uniform; and when they take off the uniform, we care for them when they are veterans."
Steve Buyer

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation." George Washington

And here are some poems I found for Veterans Day.

Weapons

There are many types of weapons
But the ones that hurt the most
Are the weapons made of memories
And the deadly midnight ghost
Not all wounds are red and bloody
There are wounds that touch the mind
These are wounds that always fester
They're the never healing kind
Why are we who've done our duty
Plagued by wounds that never heal
Made by weapons of our memories
Which are worse than lead and steel

Veterans Day
By Taylor Weinman

Representing the red white and blue
The colors of our flag stand out proud and true.
The white stars on blue background with red and white stripes
Remind me of these veterans, who all risked their lives.
Just so the people of the U.S. could all live in peace and be free
These are the heroes that represent you and me.
They stood up strongly, untied as one,
And kept up the fighting until they were done.
And although some have fallen, and lost their lives in war,
We pray for each one of them.
And now that their souls live on forever more,
Above in God's hands.
They watch over our nation,
And give us strength to triumph over others with strong anticipation.
So every year, when this day comes by,
Think of all the veterans that while fighting, had to die.
And remember that they were people
With fire and passion embedded inside.
They die for this country,
So remember and honor them with pride

answered by Nora | 11-10-2010 at 07:23 PM

More quotes for Veterans Day:

I think there is one higher office than president and I would call that patriot. ~ Gary Hart

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers. ~ Jose Narosky

The most persistent sound which reverberates through menís history is the beating of war drums. ~ Arthur Koestler

We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. ~ Cynthia Ozick

answered by Plain | 11-11-2010 at 02:17 PM

It is easy to take liberty for granted when you have never had it taken from you. - D. Cheney

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. - Elmer Davis

We make war that we may live in peace. - Aristotle

Nobody ever drowned in sweat. - US Marines

answered by Lily | 11-11-2010 at 02:18 PM

"On this Veterans Day, let us remember the service of our veterans, and let us renew our national promise to fulfill our sacred obligations to our veterans and their families who have sacrificed so much so that we can live free."
- Dan Lipinski

"My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place--police, firefighters, and members of our armed forces."
- Sidney Sheldon

"America's veterans have served their country with the belief that democracy and freedom are ideals to be upheld around the world."
- John Doolittle

answered by Guest | 11-11-2010 at 02:19 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.