Remember Remember The Fifth of November Quote & Rhyme?

Anyone know the full rhyme that was used in the beginning of the film V for Vendetta?

Remember, remember the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot...
how does the rest of this rhyme go?

I've tried googling but i found other poems and i'm not sure which one is right...so any help would be great.
Who made this quote up and why do people always say it!?

asked by Thrill in Holidays | 4642 views | 11-05-2010 at 04:53 PM

The Fifth of November is Guy Fawkes Night. Guy Fawkes was a member of a group of English Roman Catholics who attempted to carry out the Gunpowder Plot, an attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill King James I of England, to destroy Protestant rule by killing the Protestant aristocracy, on 5 November 1605.

To this day his failure is celebrated with fireworks, bonfires and ritual effigy-burning.

Here's the full rhyme.

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
To blow up King and Parli'ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

When V for Vendetta came out, I had no idea that the mask was Guy Fawkes. I saw the movie only because I was a big fan of The Matrix. When I saw what the movie was about I investigated the story.
The fifth of November is a big day in London. I will be watching V for Vendetta in celebration.

answered by Bridget | 11-05-2010 at 04:55 PM

What I always wanted to know is who created the lyrics of the song? I mean is this rhyme part of a speech Guy Fawkes gave or something?
I'm sorry I don't know much about this because I'm from America, I just watched V for Vendetta and became interested in this part of England's history.

answered by Lucy | 11-05-2010 at 05:03 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.