My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Banned Cover?

Kanye West's latest album is called My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and it has been banned because the cover it's being considered way too controversial to be sold to kids.

The cover features a small painting of what looks like Kanye with a monster sitting on his lap. The monster (which Kanye calls his "phoenix") features a woman's torso with wings, jaws and a polka dot tail.

It's not that controversial for me, what do you think?

asked by Pam in Music | 1275 views | 10-18-2010 at 10:49 PM

Once Kanye West did tweet the banned album cover of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, the issue became clear: the proposed artwork was a bizarre oil painting depicting a human man engaged in intercourse with a winged creature.

The illustration of the album cover was done by contemporary American painter/sculptor George Condo, the same man responsible for Kanye's 'Power' single, and portrays a demonic-looking Kanye laying on a blue bed while an equally demonic white woman with no arms, wings and a polka-dot tail straddles him. They are both wearing nothing in the illustration.

West's label, Island Def Jam, was reportedly concerned about the album art but ultimately told the rapper "the label would stand behind him" no matter what.

The real issue surrounding the content of the cover art, according to the source, was whether or not retail stores, such as Wal-Mart or Best Buy, would sell an item like this.

Condo has been creating beautifully disturbing images for nearly three decades, specializing in provocative paintings with an often-comical tinge, with pieces in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art.

answered by Jaden | 10-18-2010 at 10:50 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.