Katharina Brow Case & Story?

Katharina Brow was a diner waitress who was murdered.
A movie about the Katharina Brow case and story was made and is going to be released soon starring Hilary Swank. The name of the movie that tells the story of Katharina Brow is named "Conviction".

Now there's a controversy because Katharina Brow's real life son and daughter are claiming Swank never called them or anyone in Katharina Brow's family to ask for permission or just to tell them about the movie.

What happened to Katharina Brow? Where can I read about her case and story?

asked by Lizard in Law & Ethics | 17421 views | 10-15-2010 at 06:58 PM

Conviction centers on the case of Betty Anne Waters, played by Hillary Swank, who, as a single mother managed to put herself through law school in order to advocate for her brother, Kenny Waters, who was convicted of the murder of Katharina Brow. Betty Anne used DNA evidence to prove that her brother could not have committed the crime, and he was released after spending 18 years in prison. That's the story of the film.

The daughter and son of Katharina Brow, Melrose and Charles Brow, claim they were never approached by Hilary Swank about making a movie based on their mother's murder.

Brow's children, Melrose and Charlie, appeared alongside their attorney Gloria Allred in a press conference in Los Angeles to express their “disappointment and anger” toward Swank and her associates for not contacting them throughout the 10-year period it reportedly took to make the film.

Specifically, the family wants to know: if their mom's murder be seen on screen; how will she be depicted and whether the filmmakers will earmark any of the profits to find the real killer.

The real killer of Katharina Brow was never caught and they want to see effort from Swank or the powers that be in the movie industry to put that power into finding a solution, not just make another great movie about a real life tragedy.

The Brow family has not had the opportunity to see "Conviction" yet because they have not been invited to any private screenings before its release. Katharina Brow's murder, although the impetus for the film's plot, does not occupy much of the movie itself. In the film, after she is slain, Brow is shown in a mildly graphic scene, bloodied and sprawled across a floor. But little else is revealed about her in the movie.

answered by Marcus | 10-15-2010 at 06:59 PM

CLUELESS
It is typical for everyone to see one side of the story and go with it. Does anyone ever think there is another side to consider? Allegedly, the movie is based on true events doesn't mean the content of the movie is 100% accurate. Unless people can walk in another person's shoe doesn't mean one has the full understanding of the brevity of the situation. The mildly graphic scene, bloodied and sprawled across the floor is more than what needs to be revealed. In general, I think people are just heartless and cold.

answered by Guest | 11-18-2010 at 05:06 PM

solved?
Can anyone tell me if Katherina Brow's case was ever solved?

answered by GuestJolene | 01-15-2011 at 10:16 PM

solved...
The movie, Conviction states the real murderer of Katharina Brow has not been found. Kenny received 3.4 mil settlement with Ayers, MA for his wrongful conviction of 18 years....with his sister's help.

answered by Guest | 05-15-2011 at 08:25 PM

It hasn't ever been solved. I was looking for information about Katharina Brow's story and her case is considered still on investigation.

answered by Guest | 08-07-2011 at 11:18 PM

You need to put the blame where the blame lies, don't blame all people because someone wants to murder, the police are the ones to blame, you blame a innocent person when you could have been looking for the real killer.

answered by wendy1975 | 09-08-2011 at 04:44 PM

Unfortunately, Katharina's case is still unsolved. I wish she got more publicity so more people would pay attention to her story.

answered by wendy1975 | 09-08-2011 at 04:45 PM

While the scene of Ms Brow's murder is "mild", I would hazard to guess her children and family would tell you otherwise. Whether in real life or on the screen it is Ms Brow's murder that set actual events in motion as well as the inspiration for Swank's movie. Sure this is a story about the strong bond of family and siblings; and yes, about the injustice of wrongful convictions, but true to form the victim is overlooked, a mere mildly unpleasant "gore" scene in "Conviction", and for art's sake or no, I would hope others find it a little disturbing and disappointing Brow's family was not given some courtesy or consideration before the film was even made.

answered by Guest | 11-09-2011 at 12:50 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.