October 11 Holiday: Banks & USPS?

I need to send mail today and my friend said said the post office is closed on major holidays and I was wondering if Columbus Day was considered a major holiday.
I don't think many stores should be closed because it's not really a holiday that everyone celebrates.
Schools are open, right?
Will banks be open on October 11 - Columbus day? What about the United States Postal Service (USPS) ?

asked by Complete in Holidays | 2092 views | 10-11-2010 at 05:22 PM

Columbus Day is a Federal Holiday. All Banks, government offices and Wall Street are closed that day. It is in the Uniform Holiday Act of 1971 and is held each year on the closest Monday to the 12th of October.

Columbus Day, like most federal holidays, is observed on a Monday so that federal employees can have a three-day weekend. There is no mail deliveries, pickup, or postal service action whatsoever.

Postal Service facilities will be closed for retail transactions in observance of the Columbus Day holiday. Although there will be no regular mail delivery, limited collection runs will be conducted throughout the city and surrounding communities.

It depends on each school whether there are classes on Columbus day.

The reason Columbus Day (October 11 this year) was made an official holiday was to celebrate Christopher Columbus "discovering" the Americas. The fact that there were people already in the Americas for hundreds if not thousands of years already didn't matter.

answered by Poet | 10-11-2010 at 05:23 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.