Name: Muslim Woman's Veil is Called?

What is the name of the veil worn by a Muslim woman? How is it called?
I admit I am ignorant when it comes to the Muslim faith. I have seen Muslim women in the full robe and head covering.
Is head covering mandatory for a Muslim woman? Why Muslim's women need to cover themselves? for what reason?

asked by Twist in Places of the World | 5331 views | 09-25-2010 at 01:13 AM

There are numerous names and styles ranging from liberal to conservative including, Hijab, Khimar, Chador, Niqab and Burqa.

Muslim women can wear any dress on the very clear condition, that it should cover her whole body head, arms, body and legs. It should not be tight dress which reveal the details of her body, it should be modest and loos without colorful items which could attract strangers. This dress is meant for her to use when going outside her House, as here body is precious and is not meant to be displayed for public, but at here house she could wear anything.

The Quran laid down rules for the hijab, both for men and women in sura Ahzaab ch-33 of the sura. The satar (limit) for men is from navel to knees and for women its her entire body except her hands and face.

A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman.

answered by Shaun | 09-25-2010 at 01:14 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.