Jewish Holidays 2010 September?

What are the Jewish Holidays 2010 all about? I know they take place in September 2010 and that there are special dates with specific meanings.
But what are Jewish people celebrating? For how long will the Jewish Holidays 2010 take place?
I've heard of Yom Kippur but what is it?
I ask because at work I hear people talking about it and I feel lost.

asked by Pigeon in Holidays | 2301 views | 09-08-2010 at 04:10 PM

Two major holidays make up the High Holy Day period. Rosh Hashanah, which begins at sundown Wednesday, celebrates the Jewish New Year, and Yom Kippur is our Day of Atonement. The two holidays, together with the days in between, comprise the Ten Days of Repentance. The Jewish community is preparing to delve into the difficult questions posed by the belief that we can change.

In more detail, Rosh Hashanah 2010, the Jewish New Year, begins at sundown on September 8th. And while it marks the turn of Jewish calendar year 5770 to 5771, it also celebrates the fundamental human need for liberation, return and renewal.

answered by Yale | 09-08-2010 at 04:11 PM

The High Holidays (Yom Kippur and Roch Hashanah,) are one of the most important Jewish holidays. Rosh Hashanah is a time of the spiritual ingathering of the Jewish people. In Judaism the festivals are there to remind us what God has done & what is important.

answered by Jay | 09-08-2010 at 08:48 PM

I need to call a Jewish person as soon as possible.
Is it rude to call people who are Jewish on Rosh Hashanah and the entire Jewish Holidays?

I have to call him but I don't want to look rude.

answered by Parker | 09-09-2010 at 08:30 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.