Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur 2010?

What is the meaning of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur? I heard that we are in the Jewish new year now in September 2010.
I know that Rosh Hashanah is the first day of the Jewish new year...!? It celebrates the "creation" or something similar?
Can anyone explain me Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur 2010 to me in detail?

asked by Claire in Holidays | 3444 views | 09-08-2010 at 03:51 PM

The Jewish High Holy Days begin at sundown Wednesday with Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, and end on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. In Hebrew, Rosh Hashanah means "head of the year."
During this 10-day period of introspection, Jews repent for the sins of the past year and ask God to grant them another year of life and health.

Area Muslims will most likely celebrate Eid ul-Fitr beginning Friday morning, a three-day feast to mark the end of the month-long fast of Ramadan.

There is one important similarity between the Jewish New Year and the American one -- many Americans use the New Year as a time to plan a better life, making "resolutions."
Likewise, the Jewish New Year is a time to begin introspection, looking back at the mistakes of the past year and planning the changes to make in a new year.

answered by Thirty | 09-08-2010 at 03:52 PM

Rosh hashanah is a Jewish holiday commonly referred to as the "Jewish New Year." It is observed on the first day of Tishrei, the seventh month of the Hebrew calendar.
It also marks the beginning of the High Holidays, the ten holiest days of the year. Everything concludes with the holiday of Yom Kippur.

answered by Swan | 09-08-2010 at 08:54 PM

Yom Kippur is the Jewish day of Atonement, it brings to end the 10 days of repentance which start on Rosh HaShanah (the Jewish New Year). It is slightly over 24 hours and is a fast day, you're not even supposed to have intimate relations with your wife.

answered by Paul | 09-09-2010 at 08:35 PM

Hebrewic Roots Holy days
Rosh Hashanah also known as the Feast of Trumpets is the hebrew new year. It marks the return of Yeshua (Jesus) as reigning king. It follows by 9 days of repentance, which leads to Yom Kippur also known as The Day of Atonement. Man being at one with Yahweh ( God ). It is also judgement day from Yahweh ( God ). We must all turn to Yeshua ( Jesus ) and surrender to him. To let Him be in our lives as born again believers.

answered by Guest | 09-10-2010 at 06:18 PM

comment