Two Moons in The Sky August 27 Hoax?

I received an email about the two moons in the sky in August 27. Is it a hoax?
The message said Mars will appear so large in the sky on Friday August 27, that it will look as if Earth has two moons.
I don't think this is true but maybe it is. If mars really was close enough to appear the same size as the moon, the tides would be affected and large tracts of land would be submerged.

Is the rumor about the two moons in the sky on August 27 true or is it a hoax?

asked by Break in Astronomy & Space | 1583 views | 08-26-2010 at 06:12 PM

There is a rumor floating around that on Friday night, August 27th, the earth will have two moons.

But it's a hoax. On August 27, 2010, when the two moons spectacle is supposed to take place, mars will be a mere pinprick of light in the western sky at dusk, sitting close to Venus. It will be some 195 million miles from Earth.

An email has been going around claiming that Mars will appear as large as the moon this weekend but that is just not true.

NASA reported that it would be impossible for Mars to pass by Earth so closely and that it would be perceived to be the size of the moon. If this did happen, we wouldn't be so happy about it because it would mean that the orbits had gone crazy.

answered by Trent | 08-26-2010 at 06:13 PM

I am sure a lot of people all over the world is waiting anxiously for this to happen on August 27, 2010, expecting to see this miracle.
But it's just never going to happen. Mars is too big to be that close to the earth. It will provoke a collision between the two planets and we would all die.
NASA already said it is a hoax.

answered by James | 08-27-2010 at 03:28 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.