Chevy Cruze Engine?

Will every Chevy Cruze engine really get 40+ mpg? That sounds too good.

asked by Carland in Buying & Selling | 3174 views | 08-21-2009 at 05:56 PM

A string of web articles have been throwing higher and higher miles-per-gallon numbers for the Chevy Cruze since last summer, way before any optional engine was ever announced. Some read 40 mpg; others read 45.

Itís not a question of if GM has the capability with its engine technologies, but when they will be released. And at what price will the public be willing to pay for it? It is one thing to develop greener technologies, but quite another to mass produce them and make a profit in America.

According to the GM Retiree eNews, the 1.4-liter 4-cylinder Family 0 engine assigned to the Chevy Volt and the Chevy Cruze are slated for production in Flint, Michigan. Considering the market conditions and capital restraints, I think itís understandable the company will not invest in new floor space, but use available floor space in existing facilities. As an investor/trader, I view that as a good economic decision.

The December, 2008 GM news release stated outright, ďIn North America, the Cruze will be powered by an optional new, 1.4L Turbo engine that is expected to deliver better fuel economy than the current leader in this segment, the Chevrolet Cobalt XFE that is rated at 37 mpg on the highway." (emphasis mine) Does that make another engine the base standard?

People want a seamless experience as they migrate to electric and other high-tech vehicles, but they also expect their tax dollars (read - bailout investment) to be used for next generation tech; their goal - save them money and protect the country from foreign energy dependence in the long run. That places the Chevy Cruze, in my opinion, in a special position in the hearts, minds and pocket books of American car buyers; and on the same stage as the Chevy Volt.

answered by Edmund | 08-21-2009 at 05:59 PM

comment