Is Inception Based On Paprika?

The Inception trailer looks a lot like Paprika, a 2006 movie that is about dreams too.
Is Inception based on paprika?

Personally I think the maker of Paprika Satoshi Kon and Christopher Nolan the creator of Inception drink from the same well. They both deal with entering dreams and the same issues.
Do you think that maybe Nolan copied Paprika when he wrote Inception?

asked by Mime in Movies | 32863 views | 07-18-2010 at 02:39 AM

There are clearly parallels with inception and Paprika, you'd have to be mad to say there isn't.
I don't know if you watched Inception but if you did, then you know the two movies are really different.
They only thing Inception and Paprika have in common is that they are both based on dreams.
But other than that they're nothing alike.

I don't know if Christopher Nolan got the idea from Paprika, I'm sure he watched it.

answered by Roger | 07-18-2010 at 02:43 AM

I enjoyed Paprika, it was a wonderful movie with amazing animations.
I also thought at first that Nolan took the idea of Inception from Paprika but after watching Inception, I know realized that they're both very different movies.
Go and see it for yourself.

answered by Nicholas | 07-18-2010 at 08:27 PM

Inception vs. Paprika
Nolan has said that Ellen Page's character was based off of the Paprika character. But, that's about it.

It's amazing to see a lot of anime fans crying "rip-off"

I actually wrote some thoughts about why fans think Hollywood is taking ideas from anime. You can read them at:

Part I: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/875442822/inception-paprika-pt1
Part II: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/893440300/inception-paprika-pt2

answered by MangaTherapy | 08-02-2010 at 06:35 PM

In the world of cinema we have what we call "movie cycles" which, in a way, you could call "copies" of other works. Akira Kurosawa was very much influenced by Hollywood westerns and when he created Seven Samurai, and it was very successful, America borrowed the base line of the story to recreate it into Magnificent Seven... since then the movie has been remade over and over, shifting with the demands of the public and the style of its time, but key scenes and basic story lines are still there. 2 other movies that were spun off the same original one were The Three Amigos and A Bugs Life. We're due for another remake in 10 years or so.

With that in mind, even as an anime fan myself, I can't say "rip-off" to anything that's recreated. just because it uses some similar ideas, doesn't mean that the film is not original and can stand its own ground.

As for Inception and Paprika it is very true that they are extremely similar, but I wouldn't say it was "based" on inception... maybe borrowed ideas, but other than that it is an original work in and of itself. I recommend you watch it!

answered by Guest | 03-18-2011 at 04:05 PM

Give me a break. I don't think anyone who's seen both pictures can honestly say that the only similarity has to do with the fact that they both deal with dreams-at least not with a straight face. He totally ripped it off. Even the elevator scene to represent different layers of the dreamers subconscious isn't original for Nolan. It was used in Paprika years before.

answered by Guest | 03-30-2011 at 05:31 AM

Inception based on paprika? then how about paprika based on The Cell.

imdb.com/title/tt0209958/

answered by Guest | 06-29-2011 at 03:52 PM

Inception
YES, I've seen Paprika a billion times. Nolan Copies the DC Mini and transforms it into the dream apparatus. Then he steals the idea of sorting out the mind through an elevator. Then He copies the idea of dreams being hacked into and merged into one. Then He copies the scene with the glass wall/world where Juno creates a bridge. He's a blatant copy cat who didn't credit his source.

answered by Guest | 07-06-2011 at 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

imdb.com/title/tt0209958/
Sorry, but the original book Paprika that the movie is based on was made in 1993 while The Cell is a 2000 movie.

answered by Guest | 08-30-2011 at 03:16 AM

answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The Cell is a movie from 2000, Paprika is based on a novel published in 1993.
Try to be a bit more informed before making such a statement.

answered by Guest | 11-30-2011 at 05:26 AM

There are similarities
I can sit here having recently watched both of the films and say that there definitely are some similarities. Some of those are obviously the idea of entering others dreams with or without their consent, also there is the idea that they can eventually not be woken from the dream, lastly the other big similarity I can think of is the elevator that takes someone through the levels of their dreams. I'm guessing if I look deeper into the films I could find more to do with the actual characters.

answered by Guest | 12-18-2011 at 05:17 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.