Is Inception Based On A Book?

Is the movie "Inception" based on a book?
I'm talking about the new movie named Inception starring Leonardo Dicaprio, directed by Christopher Nolan, the director of Batman The Dark Knight.
I watched it and I was blown away by the concept. If Inception happens to be based on a book I'd be very interested in buying the book.

asked by Fear in Movies | 63042 views | 07-17-2010 at 09:25 PM

No. Inception is not based on a book.
The movie is actually based on a screenplay by American British film-maker Christopher Nolan, the visionary director who also directed the masterpiece The Dark Knight (2008). It is already gaining massively positive reviews.

There is an animated movie similar to Inception called Paprika. When I first saw the Inception trailer, I thought it was a live action adaptation of Paprika. Now after seeing the movie, I'm pretty sure it's not, but it still appears to have the same concept.

Not sure if Nolan was inspired by it.
Although the Inception movie script is not from a novel; it's still possible that they make "novelization" of it.

answered by Lancelot | 07-17-2010 at 09:26 PM

No, it is not based on a book.

Inception was created entirely by its director, mister Nolan.
He basically came up with the whole movie idea.

Did he get inspiration from some book he read or a movie he saw?
That's another thing, he never talked about it.

Some say he got his ideas from Paprika.

answered by Nadia | 07-18-2010 at 04:53 AM

I love to read so after I watched Inception I was hoping it was based on a book.
I was ready to buy it.

But unfortunately Inception is not based on a book, everything came from Christopher Nolan's head.

answered by Monster | 07-18-2010 at 08:37 PM

L.P. Davies' book TWILIGHT JOURNEY sounds a lot like INCEPTION. TJ was written in 1967.

answered by Guest | 07-22-2010 at 07:36 PM

An old Article.
Some years ago Time magazine published a quotation that seems related.
I thought, that the movie was based on this philosopher, but i don't now for sure.

Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don't bite everybody.

Stanislaw Lec

answered by Lalo Kachondo. | 07-27-2010 at 08:01 PM

Inception is not a book.
I so wanted this to be a book too. It was such a great movie, such a great concept and I want more.

answered by riesgogarza | 07-30-2010 at 04:47 PM

After seeing the movie it reminded me of a thought I had years ago when I felt we are all the thoughts and ideas of someone else. I was hoping it would be a book too.

answered by Guest | 08-06-2010 at 07:36 PM

Actually, it is very much like a few of Haruki Murakami's novels. Specifically "Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World"...has a guy being chased for failing to extract information from dreams for the purpose of corporate espionage...hmmm

answered by Guest | 08-08-2010 at 05:42 PM

I agree that there should be a book! If there was it would have been even better than the movie! could you even imagine that???!!! it would have been amazing!

answered by Guest | 08-11-2010 at 10:34 PM

Based on Donald Duck
The movie is based on a strip from the Donald Duck...
Check this link:

http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Rosa/show.php?num=1&loc=D2002-033&s=date

answered by Donald | 09-24-2010 at 02:29 PM

someone planted the idea in Christopher Nolan's head that he should make a book about planting ideas in people's heads.

answered by Guest | 11-30-2010 at 07:09 AM

Haha I like the idea above of planting the ideal of making a book version in Christopher Nolan's mind. I also think that Inception has the potential for making the second movie too don't you guys think?

answered by anonymous | 12-11-2010 at 05:44 AM

Based on "Dreamscape"?
I think the original idea was the 1984 movie "Dreamscape" that basically develops a similar plot (Dennis Quaid, Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer and Kate Capshaw). I wonder if Mr. Nolan saw it and "recreated" the story...

answered by Guest | 12-23-2010 at 08:47 PM

INCEPTION
I believe this movie is based on book. I read it when I was in 8th grade. It's not exactly the same story but the same concept. I don't remember the name of the book because it was long time ago and it was in different language.

answered by Guest | 12-29-2010 at 03:57 PM

Similar research
I stopped after watching the first half of Inception. I needed to regroup my thoughts for a while before continuing - because I had read about a similar concept years ago.

Take a look at sl4p.net/crc, and you'll see that there is may be a way to achieve a lot of what is suggested in the movie (chemicals optional).

answered by Guest | 12-31-2010 at 10:17 PM

Lathe of Heaven
I had refrained from seeing this film until a few days ago. From the trailers, the film seemed very similar to the book "Lathe of Heaven" by Ursula K LeGuin. (The film Avatar is based off of her novel "The Word for World is Forest", making it seem that much more likely that this film, too, was based off her novel.) Having seen the film now, I know the book is not adapted from the novel; however, it may have likely been based off of the concepts of the book. Either way, they are both excellent works and I highly suggest them both the book and film on their own merits.

answered by Guest | 01-26-2011 at 05:59 PM

Watch out for a book in the next few years named "Dreamstate."
It's a book that I actually am writing, and it's not based on Inception, though it has the same idea of Lucid Dreaming (the act of knowing that you're dreaming).

My name's Tyler Remy, and I'm only 17. I've been writing for a while now and I'm extremely confident that this book will come out marvelous.
It's based mainly on my life but still falls under fiction.
It's about a boy named Noah Taylor. He's a 17 year old boy who isn't very excepted, and has been through a lot and seems to be stuck in a relationship with a girl.
He then starts taking up lucid dreaming and creates a whole new world, called Dream State and a young British girl finds herself also in the same place with him.

I don't want to ruin the story for any of you who may or may not read it someday, but I promise you, if I can get it published, it's totally worth it.
Thankyou

answered by Guest | 02-16-2011 at 03:25 PM

"donald" is right!
Please follow the Disney link Donald provided! Inception seems like a scene for scene live action (adult violence) and highly drawn out version of a 50 year old comic book. Nearly the whole damn thing is conceptual plagiarized. That being said, I still enjoyed the movie.

answered by Guest | 02-17-2011 at 06:38 AM

Castaneda is highly recommended to understand Nolan.

answered by Guest | 02-18-2011 at 11:19 AM

Editing-Please actually read what I wrote, Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't want to ruin the story for any of you who may or may not read it someday, but I promise you, if I can get it published, it's totally worth it.
Thankyou
I think you mean accepted. If you do work hard on this book and get it published officially, I have a feeling that it will be brilliant.

I just hope that you get a good editor because if you can't even distinguish between accepted and except(ed)-which is actually not a word, since except is not a verb, but a preposition, and you can only put something in past tense if it is a verb or adjective. I'm not trying to be mean here or troll, I'm just trying to help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope your story goes far, just make sure you have a good editor and everything is set and finalized before trying to present your story to any publications.

answered by Guest | 07-09-2011 at 04:47 AM

Get a life. "preposition"? "past-tense"? Congrats, you have shown us that you're smarter than a seventeen year old with your gr. 5 spelling lesson. You must feel like you're a genius. Why don't you take it where it actually suits the purpose of the site? The boy is sharing his ideas, not requesting a lesson in how to spell a word. In the early stages of writing, you don't concern yourself with spelling, you do that in the drafting stage after you've hashed out your story. did you even graduate from school? here's a lesson for you: what's the title of this site?

Remy my man, any way you spell it, you will be successful, just continue to believe in yourself. I'd buy your book for sure. It's not about how well you spell, but how well you paint your story. I love your idea.

answered by Guest | 10-09-2011 at 06:54 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.