Asperger's Syndrome Symptoms In Adults & Characteristics?

Aspergerís syndrome, also known as ASD or Assburgerís syndrome, affects patients from childhood and also adults. It is a form of partial autism.

There have been several news items that are raising concern to families of children with developmental disabilities, autism and Asperger's syndrome.

Asperger's is a form of high-functioning autism often characterized by inability to pick up on social cues, heightened sensitivity, and an intense focus on only one or a few interests. Because it is at the low end of the autism spectrum, people without awareness of the condition may assume someone with Asperger's is simply quirky or socially awkward.

And Asperger's Syndrome is not something that affects children only, it affects adults too.
I was wondering what are the symptoms in adults for Asperger's Syndrome?

Also what about the characteristics of Asperger's Syndrome?

asked by Mark in Diseases & Conditions | 2076 views | 03-24-2010 at 04:36 PM

There are always children, adolescents and adults who stand out from the crowd. This doesnít mean something is mentally wrong with them, but for some people, a neurological disorder may actually be the case.

When people hear the term Aspergerís syndrome, they also often only think of children and even adolescents, but this developmental disorder still affects adults.

Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism, became an official part of medical terminology in 1994. But by 2012, the revised national psychiatry diagnostic manual may eliminate this diagnosis. Instead, it may be lumped into a single broad diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

ASD covers autism's entire spectrum, from high-functioning to profoundly disabling.

People with Aspergerís syndrome may show symptoms throughout their entire lives, but most are not diagnosed until adulthood. People with Aspergerís syndrome were often bullied as children or mocked for their highly unusual interests. However, since many children experience these difficulties, the extent of the problem is seldom recognized until much later.

Adults with AS may appear painfully shy, or they may be extremely outgoing - sometimes to the point of being "in your face." That's because people with AS often misinterpret social interaction. Questions they may ask themselves: How far away do I stand from another person? How long can I talk about my favorite subject? What's the right answer to "how are you?"

Aspergerís syndrome symptoms in adults:

Children and adults affected with Aspergerís disorder have one or more of the following symptoms:

* Clumsiness.
* Delayed development of motor skills.
* Uncoordinated behaviour (sometimes mistaken for quirks).
* Repetitive rituals (similar to OCD symptoms).
* Unable to communicate or interact with others.
* Unlike normal autism, individuals with Aspergerís have a high vocabulary.

answered by Julius | 03-24-2010 at 04:47 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.